200 amp main

Status
Not open for further replies.

vm3118

My brother in law has a 200 amp main with a pigtail on a 100 amp breaker going to a 100 amp main panel. It is pulling 150 amps (with everything on) on the 200 amp panel and 60 amps on the 100 amp panel. He is putting pool in and wants to add another panel downstream forthe pump (will pull 30 amps) and there will also be lighting and power on the other breakers
I guess my question is with the first 2 panels (having the potential of pulling 210 amps on a 200 amp breaker) will it handle the additional load or is he maxed out.

Ant thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the 200 amp panel is at 150 amps with the sub panel then it does not matter that the sub panel is drawing 60 amps. I would have to do a load calculation but my gut says he is probably fine.

iMuse97

My brother in law has a 200 amp main with a pigtail on a 100 amp breaker going to a 100 amp main panel. It is pulling 150 amps (with everything on) on the 200 amp panel and 60 amps on the 100 amp panel. He is putting pool in and wants to add another panel downstream forthe pump (will pull 30 amps) and there will also be lighting and power on the other breakers
I guess my question is with the first 2 panels (having the potential of pulling 210 amps on a 200 amp breaker) will it handle the additional load or is he maxed out.

Ant thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I agree with Dennis, I think. As he said, you need the load calc. for the new loads. You also need to do a load calc. on your existing loads. Turning everything on at the same time and Amping it out is not the same as doing a load calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.