AFCI, dormitory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
A building consisting solely of one dwelling unit is a single family dwelling.
Definition of family follows.
Merriam-Webster Collegiate? Dictionary Browse

1fam?i?ly
Pronunciation: 'fam-lē, 'fa-mə-
Function: noun
Inflected Form: plural -lies
Etymology: Middle English familie, from Latin familia household (including servants as well as kin of the householder), from famulus servant
Date: 15th century

1 : a group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head : HOUSEHOLD
2 a : a group of persons of common ancestry : CLAN b : a people or group of peoples regarded as deriving from a common stock : RACE
3 a : a group of people united by certain convictions or a common affiliation : FELLOWSHIP b : the staff of a high official (as the President)
4 : a group of things related by common characteristics: as a : a closely related series of elements or chemical compounds b : a group of soils with similar chemical and physical properties (as texture, pH, and mineral content) that comprise a category ranking above the series and below the subgroup in soil classification c : a group of related languages descended from a single ancestral language
5 a : the basic unit in society traditionally consisting of two parents rearing their children also : any of various social units differing from but regarded as equivalent to the traditional family <a single-parent family> b : spouse and children <want to spend more time with my family>
6 a : a group of related plants or animals forming a category ranking above a genus and below an order and usually comprising several to many genera b in livestock breeding (1) : the descendants or line of a particular individual especially of some outstanding female (2) : an identifiable strain within a breed
7 : a set of curves or surfaces whose equations differ only in parameters
8 : a unit of a crime syndicate (as the Mafia) operating within a geographical area
–fam?i?ly?hood \-ˌhu̇d\ noun

2family
Function: adjective
Date: 1602

1 : of or relating to a family
2 : designed or suitable for both children and adults <family restaurants> <family movies>

Again my response was to the original question...
The student bedrooms are just bedrooms. All bathrooms and (1) kitchen are in common spaces.
IMHO with what the original poster stated would not be a dwelling unit.
Yes, you certainly are entitled to your opinion.

And I would agree that there could very well be designs where a dorm may very well meet the definition of a dwelling unit.

Chris
A sign of progress ;)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Here is the definition of one family dwelling in the NEC.
Dwelling, One-Family. A building that consists solely of one dwelling unit.

Chris
What's your point? The entire dormitory building can be a One-Family Dwelling. The NEC places no limitations on the number of subcompartments which comprise a dwelling unit, nor does it limit the number of family members.

raider1

Staff member
What's your point? The entire dormitory building can be a One-Family Dwelling. The NEC places no limitations on the number of subcompartments which comprise a dwelling unit, nor does it limit the number of family members.

I was just pointing out that a building that consists solely of a single dwelling unit is defined in the NEC as a one family dwelling.

My opinion is that if a building consists of say 20 sleeping rooms 5 bathrooms and a common kitchen, where students "rent" the sleeping room with the other areas being common areas to all residents, does not meet the definition of dwelling unit.

Again this is just my opinion.

Chris

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I was just pointing out that a building that consists solely of a single dwelling unit is defined in the NEC as a one family dwelling.

My opinion is that if a building consists of say 20 sleeping rooms 5 bathrooms and a common kitchen, where students "rent" the sleeping room with the other areas being common areas to all residents, does not meet the definition of dwelling unit.

Again this is just my opinion.

Chris
...and, other than the number of rooms and renters, how is this any different than say a boarding house? You do consider a boarding house a dwelling, right?

What about say 4 students that share the rent of a 4 bedroom house near campus. Is the house not a single dwelling unit or a one-family dwelling?

Does the NEC make any distinguishment in the number of renters or the number and types of rooms in its definition of a dwelling?

raider1

Staff member
Does the NEC make any distinguishment in the number of renters or the number and types of rooms in its definition of a dwelling?

No, nor does it require that the kitchen facility be utilized by the residents instead of a hired cook, so by your logic a large hotel with a restaurant would be a dwelling unit.

Obviously this would be a case by case issue, there are designs that could be defined as a dwelling unit, but not all dorms in my opinion would necessarily be dwelling units.

Chris

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No, nor does it require that the kitchen facility be utilized by the residents instead of a hired cook, so by your logic a large hotel with a restaurant would be a dwelling unit.
Not by my logic.

This is where the clause "independent living facilities" comes into play. In a dwelling, the choice to have a meal prepared in the kitchen or prepare it for oneself is a matter of choice by the family member or the family as a collective. Not so in a hotel with a restaurant or food service.

Obviously this would be a case by case issue, there are designs that could be defined as a dwelling unit, but not all dorms in my opinion would necessarily be dwelling units.

Chris
On this lart part I can agree with you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.