Gray PVC vs White PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Probably, as long as it's buried. Try getting fittings to match though. It's a little tough pulling wire through a plumbing "L";):grin:

KevinVost

This topic was visited a few weeks ago. Since, in the listings, white plumbing PVC is NOT listed as an electrical raceway, it is not suitable for use as one.

Jim W in Tampa

One problem is by using white you might mis lead a plumber that cuts into it by mistake thinking its water. Best just use gray.

Did use 2" gray once on a house i was building for a vent pipe. Inspector was not happy but being he knowed me and explained simply that i was out of white and had gray. Legally he could have red tagged but he used logic and passed it.

Now if i am on a job and need a 3/4 coupling and am out i would borrow one from plumber and hope inspector not make issue.

480sparky

When it comes to the larger sizes, plumbers stuff gets into being cellular core material.

If you cut a section of gray electrical PVC, no matter what size, you'll see it's solid. Next time you see plumbers gutting white PVC for vents and stack, take a look at the cut end and you'll see a huge difference.

Cellular core means the only the outer and inner surfaces are solid. The rest looks like it's filled with air bubbles.

billsnuff

the white book also lists RIGIN NONMETALLIC CELLULAR CORE SCHEDULE 40 PVC CONDUIT (DZLR) in trade sizes 1/2 to 6. page 106 of the 08, FWIW.

there are temperature limitations though.

480sparky

It must be a local thing as you will not find that here, I recently ran some 4" PVC plumbing pipe and it was solid walled.

Both are made, but usually once the plumbers get into 1?" and larger (for vents and drains only: no pressure), it's cell core.

iwire

Staff member
Both are made, but usually once the plumbers get into 1?" and larger (for vents and drains only: no pressure), it's cell core.

I am not saying it's not made, or not available, all I am saying is it is not used in this area that I have ever seen. :smile:

Which leads me to believe it depends where you are if the plumbers use it.:smile:

Here in MA cast iron is still required for non-dwelling units so it would not surprise me that MA would not allow cell core at all.

BenS

Some PVC electrical conduits are white. Type A for example.

Some plumbing is gray too. There are several electrical & plumbing runs at the site I am working at now that could easily be confused with each other. A little age, maybe some long term UV exposure and schedule 80 PVC and conduit look identical!

macmikeman

Not that I ever use a torch to bend pvc :grin: but anyway, once when I 'wasn't" bending some that way, I also tried to bend a white one for the ac contractor's drain pipe for him so he could saddle a water pipe. I found the white stuff doesn't bend near as well as the gray when a heat source is added, it will kink much easier.

hardworkingstiff

Not that I ever use a torch to bend pvc :grin:
Does that mean you are not really an electrician? :grin:
but anyway, once when I 'wasn't" bending some that way, I also tried to bend a white one for the ac contractor's drain pipe for him so he could saddle a water pipe. I found the white stuff doesn't bend near as well as the gray when a heat source is added, it will kink much easier.
That's interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.