Confused about Conductor Coverings

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwiles

RHH, THW similar Thermoset conductors (synthetic rubber). One of the listing (the second in each table) has an asterisk and the asterisk refers to conductors without an outer covering.

NEC Art 100 has a definition of "Conductor, covered" and the NEC handbook elaborates on this very "slightly". It is uncertain whether this definition of "covered" refers to the Annex C use of "covering"

Table 310.13 shows that these conductors and USE, USE-2 may or may not have an outer "covering" that is moisture resistant and sometimes even flame retardant. This use of "covering" does not agree well with the Handbook examples of "covered" cables in Art 100.

The UL White Book does not add much information to this issue of "coverings" on the thermoset cables.

My experience with single-conductor cables of these types in 14-4/0 AWG is that none of these cables have an outer covering and while some may have two layers of insulation, the outer diameter is the same as those with a single layer on insulation.

It would appear that I should be using the second conduit fill tables with the asterisk which allows more conductors per conduit size than the first table in each series.

Agree? And then why is the more common usage table not listed first? Hangover from the 1920's when all cables had outer coverings? Any old guys out there that know?

johnwiles

OOPs; Fist paragraph got cut off: Here it is.

The Conduit Fill tables in Annex C of the NEC show two listings for RHW, RHH, THW similar Thermoset conductors (synthetic rubber). One of the listing (the second in each table) has an asterisk and the asterisk refers to conductors without an outer covering.

cpal

If you look at Table 5 Chapter 9 and refer to the rhw smaller sizes 14-10 Ga you should notice that those insulations with an outer covering are listed with a larger Sq. " area for area of fill.

I always thought the covering was a cotton braid like the older BX , B\\But I may be mistaken.

Happy 4th :)

johnwiles

Charlie:

Yep, I know the covered conductors are larger. Ever seen one? Maybe the Tables need revised to put the more commonly used/available conductors. Something for the 2014 NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.