Warm Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsbrush

In the upstairs of the house we are working on there are 4 bathrooms.
There is only one GFCI and that is in the 1st bath room.
From the load side of the GFCI the romex goes up into the attic and enters a junction Box. From there it goes to the other bathrooms where it feeds a normal receptacle.
I was putting the GFCI protective stickers on and when I got to the 4th Bathroom, I noticed that the receptacle was very warm. I put my GFCI tester in and it displayed that it was fine.
I pulled the receptacle out and tested to see if there was any load and there was none.
What would cause this unusual warmth??? A loose connection somewhere?

480sparky

Was the receptacle a dead end, or was there more than one cable?

If it's made up with the receptacle as the 'splise', then there's the possibility there's a load downstream yet.

If it's a dead end, and nothing is plugged in, something is seriously amiss.

jmsbrush

Yeah something is really wrong, As far as I know so far, It goes from the panel,
to the first GFCI, then from the load side of the gfci into the junction box it splits 3 ways and goes to the direction of each bathroom

480sparky

Yeah something is really wrong, As far as I know so far, It goes from the panel,
to the first GFCI, then from the load side of the gfci into the junction box it splits 3 ways and goes to the direction of each bathroom

So it was a recep protected by an upstream GFI and was a dead end?

jmsbrush

So it was a recep protected by an upstream GFI and was a dead end?
That is correct. In the other bathrooms the receptacles are not warm.
Just to clarify. The romex does not go from the load side of the GFCI to bathroom 2 then from bathroom 2 to bathroom 3 then 3 to 4 like a daisy chain.
Its hits a junction box and three runs go to each bathroom from that junction box

jmsbrush

is that recept in a stud space with a heat duct, or next to a hot water line?
Directly behind the wall there is attic space that is very hot. So I thought that was my problem. So I tripped the GFCI and it cooled off. When I reset the GFCI it warmed up again. There was no amp draw. Tomorrow I will go to the panel and put the amp meter there. If there is no load there then I will be really miffed.
If there is a load, well, I will to search and search.

480sparky

Directly behind the wall there is attic space that is very hot. So I thought that was my problem. So I tripped the GFCI and it cooled off. When I reset the GFCI it warmed up again. There was no amp draw. Tomorrow I will go to the panel and put the amp meter there. If there is no load there then I will be really miffed.
If there is a load, well, I will to search and search.

I would put the ampmeter right on the wires in the device box where the recep is.

480sparky

beat me to it
If a recep had faulty construction like thin metal would it act like a filament:-?

I've known a case where an unused recepts started a fire. Firsthand account.

Not only would I replace the recep, I'd keep the existing one to do a little testing on.

wptski

There is a electronic circuit inside working 24/7, why shouln't it get warm? In one GFCI thread "gar" figured the power comsumption and cost/year of a GFCI circuit breaker.

cadpoint

Since you said the receptacle was on the back side of a heated space, I'm just wondering about all that, if you capped the inlets , what then ?

There's no temperture probe on your Volt-meter ?

Loose sure, heated sure, loose and heated well what is it?
a true cause and effect yes, but which one!

Status
Not open for further replies.