PVC Conduit Question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

horrorsix

I have a situation where I need to get a circuit from point A to point B down one side of a driveway about 10'. My question is can I run schedule 40 or 80 on the ground along where the driveway meets the house? I didn't see in the NEC if that was allowed or not.

horrorsix

Scheduel 80 PVC

Scheduel 80 PVC

Thanks. I would really like to not cut and bury the conduit under the driveway.
I was hoping to run it exposed right in the corner of where the driveway meets the block house. 300.5(4) states that schedule 80 can be used in locations of physical damage. Would my situation apply?

480sparky

Thanks. I would really like to not cut and bury the conduit under the driveway.
I was hoping to run it exposed right in the corner of where the driveway meets the block house. 300.5(4) states that schedule 80 can be used in locations of physical damage. Would my situation apply?

300.5(4)??? Do you mean 300.5(D)(4)?

horrorsix

Scheduel 80 PVC

Scheduel 80 PVC

Oops. 300.5(D)(4) is what I was looking at. I'm not burring any circuits. Everything is above ground but I need to run down the site of a driveway. That says to me that schedule 80 is allowed. Am I wrong?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I agree with Bob. The question then becomes how to secure the pipe in accordance with the code, with isn't usually terribly hard to do to the satisfaction of the AHJ, but must be remembered.

zappy

I agree with Bob. The question then becomes how to secure the pipe in accordance with the code, with isn't usually terribly hard to do to the satisfaction of the AHJ, but must be remembered.

So if he drove some post or whatever so he can strap the pvc to it would that be ok?

horrorsix

Scheduel 80 PVC

Scheduel 80 PVC

I can attach the PVC to the building. I just didn't know if I could lay it on the driveway. It'll be out of the way just tucked along the edge of where the driveway and the building meet. The driveway is concrete the PVC won't actually be on the earth ground but since it's along the edge of the driveway it could be subjected to physical damage. My original question was could PVC conduit be used in this situation.

iwire

Staff member
I can attach the PVC to the building. I just didn't know if I could lay it on the driveway. It'll be out of the way just tucked along the edge of where the driveway and the building meet. The driveway is concrete the PVC won't actually be on the earth ground but since it's along the edge of the driveway it could be subjected to physical damage. My original question was could PVC conduit be used in this situation.

Do you have to worry about snow shovels, blowers or plows?

About the only issue is 300.4

horrorsix

Scheduel 80 PVC

Scheduel 80 PVC

I guess a snow shovel maybe. It's not like the homeowner isn't gonna know it's there. I guess it would be best the run schedule 80 instead of 40.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't see a problem with the PVC but would probably use rigid or IMC for this application. The raceway will most likely be subject to physical damage at some time.

dreamsville

Jus wonderin, why don't you want to attach it to the house? If it was me I would run it in rigid steel attached to the house if it was below 5' or so off the ground. above that I would run it in emt.

Don't know your situation though, maybe you have no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.