meggering

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricguy

I have a 1/2 duplex to quote . This Premise has aluminum wiring. a repair was done on an outlet by an unauthorized person and the tenant had the outlet fail after the repair and lost power to a whole general purpose branch circuit.Anyhow now there is a compliance order to have all the electrical inspected. one of his orders is to megger each branch circuit. would 30 mins per circuit be too low for time.

I will be using the info in the pigtail thread for the alum related issues.

jmsbrush

I would try to have the place completely rewired, Al for branch circuits IMO is no good. Take very scrupulous notes on the testing.
30 Minutes per test is enough time.

charlietuna

Meggering this system would prove little in my opinion. I would take the time to inspect those outlets exposed to high amperages like the kitchen outlets.

brian john

One minute test is more than adequate.

But there is more than meggering as noted to prove anything in this case NOTHING beats a visual inspection of every device and splice.

ohmhead

I have a 1/2 duplex to quote . This Premise has aluminum wiring. a repair was done on an outlet by an unauthorized person and the tenant had the outlet fail after the repair and lost power to a whole general purpose branch circuit.Anyhow now there is a compliance order to have all the electrical inspected. one of his orders is to megger each branch circuit. would 30 mins per circuit be too low for time.

I will be using the info in the pigtail thread for the alum related issues.

Well a megger is to test your insulation only meaning not a connection of terminals or contact resistance or a joint .

I think 30 minutes is not enough time to open up all the joints ?
Our company many years back would take a copper to aluminum crimp and high press it on each joint or connection meaning each device .

Aluminum to copper.

The crimps where purchased from a company that supplied them just for that purpose fire insurance electrical protection .

This was done so that no device had a aluminum attached to it also you had your home owners insurance lowered if you had it inspected by the local electrical dept .

This was a service dept thing for many years here in orlando in the 70 s not a lot of alu wire branch circuits used anymore in housing .
You only see it in commercial work or service conductors in a home .

Status
Not open for further replies.