New York Inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronmath

An Architect we deal with has stated that there are not "electrical inspections" in the Boroughs of New York, but that they are "self policing"? Can someone explain what exactly happens here as that does not sound correct at all. (Although judging from some of the existing conditions we have seen, he may be correct!)

Thanks in advance.

Buck Parrish

Some couties have no permits or inspections department. Therfore no permits and no inspections.
Some areas you must build a house with out any govt. inspections.
Only a health dept inspection of the septic system.
You can hire your own inspectors.
Or if an architect designed the building. They are likely to "self police" or check on their building specs.
Other wise it is up to the owners or GC's. Of course if you sell, the bank will send out a private inspector.

Last edited:

mthead

New York Inspections

As rob noted-Work done in the 5 boroughs of NY [staten island,brooklyn,bronx ,queens,manhattan] can only be done by a Licensed[that means NYC license] Electrician.
NYC does not recognize licenses other than its own-there is NO reciprosity program in regards to this.
Electrical work done in the NYC area[the five boroughs mentioned above]is required to be filed with the "D.O.B[dept of buildings]-electrical division" and a permit obtained.
What is considered 'work' one might ask?
The answer is that it is a broad term -only the building dept can make the call as to wether a job may or may not require a permit-thats just the way it is and it will not change any time soon.
Traditionally roughs were not required.
NYC has its own ammended version of the code based on 2005 NEC.The ammendments are numerous and designed to make the city code more restrictive .
The biggest change, which occured a number of years ago,Was the acceptance of NM cable as a wiring method.Prior to that only AC cable [BX,MC...,etc]or conduit was permitted in residential or commercial work.[ current New York State Residential code is based on residential 2002,commercial 2005].
This has become interesting in recent years because contractors using NM cable often times prefer that a rough be done-The BEC [city electrical inspectors ] are not always familiar with the roughin inspection process.
It's not their fault-its the way it is and their ranks have also been thinned over the years.
The result is that many contractors,in an effort to protect themselves from liability issues would file with a 'third party' agency which would come in and perform the additional inspections-The rough,any progress inspections requested and ultimately the final inspection.This was in addition to the inspections performed by the city.
in some instances the state required these additiona inspections as well.And various coops and condos[such as a number of the Trump properties] would require this in their contracts.

You might ask which agency was brought in-the answer is there was only one-The NYBFU- I'm familiar with the situation because these were some of my assignments .

In addition to what has been explained, the City also had another system, I am not sure if it is still in existance.

Up to a certain dollar value per month, there was a self-certification permit available. The Contractor would Certify that he was performing a certain dollar value amount of work, and would self inspect and certify the job. It was a small $ figure, $5,000 per month what I remember.

I have made numerous inspections in the city, these inspections were performed for the engineering company who was responsible for the jobs. Those were fun to do, I may start doing more very soon, as the engineers are not happy with the work they see lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.