2008 NEC conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two new revisions causing conflict.
Does 210.12 (b) eliminate the installs of multiwire branch circuits because of 210.4 (b)?
Do they make handle ties to fit on AFCI breakers? If not, then no more multi's, right?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How would you wire 2 single pole AFCI breakers to a multwire circuit?

John, I have not seen any 2-pole Combination AFCI breakers. CH was making 2-pole units in the older style.

raider1

Staff member
Two new revisions causing conflict.
Does 210.12 (b) eliminate the installs of multiwire branch circuits because of 210.4 (b)?
Do they make handle ties to fit on AFCI breakers? If not, then no more multi's, right?

Single pole AFCI breakers don't function on multiwire branch circuits due to the neutral only carrying the imbalanced load between the two ungrounded conductors.

As already pointed out currently there are no listed 2 pole combination type arc fault breakers available.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
As already pointed out currently there are no listed 2 pole combination type arc fault breakers available.

Chris

There will be.

One of the arguments about AFCI's is that the manufacturers got this put in the code to make more money. Why would you think they would put something in the code if they did not have a product that would meet the requirement?

Last edited:

480sparky

I have no doubt about that, they just don't currently have one.:)

Chris

2pole144x144.jpg

Seimens 2-pole combo AFCI is hitting the market.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe all of the breaker manufacturers are making combo arc faults. They probably want to see what the demand will be for them. Heck, I would never do an install with a dp arc faults simply because it doubles the troubleshooting area.

Status
Not open for further replies.