240 volt lighting timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmd445

I have a 240 volt electronic lighting timer with two sets of single-pole / single-throw contacts operating simultaneously serving several 240 volt pole lights.

Each pole of the contacts is breaking one leg of the 240 volt supply to the light poles. Although I'd rather have a double-pole / single-throw switch I can't seem to find anything wrong with this design.

Your thoughts, this is a debate between me and a fellow electrician.

Thanks,

Jim

bobsherwood

I see your point.. one coil might fail and you'd have only one hot to all lights... I would go with a double throw/double pole. a dime a dozen... But, there is nothing wrong with what you have.

iwire

Staff member
If it happens this timer is controlling HID lighting the NEC requires the controller to break all ungrounded conductors. That requirement can be found in Article 410 ..... I think 410.54(B) but I am going from memory.

You might want to install a two pole contractor controlled by one pole of the clock.

iwire

Staff member
Iwire, I'm impressed. If both sets of contacts open together, does,'t this qualify?

Jim

Jim honestly I am not sure it does not.

My thought is if the clock is listed for use as a double pole it does qualify however, if it is listed as two single poles that can be programmed for different times then it might not qualify.

I would likely go for a two pole contactor.

Status
Not open for further replies.