200 Amp Lighting Contactor Enclosure Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sparks

I have a project that calls for 200A lighting contactors feeding 200A MLO sub panels. The riser diagram mounting orientation has the contactors under the panels. I received the gear yesterday and it quickly became apparent that the enclosure for the contactors is much larger than originally anticipated. The nema 1 enclosure that Square D supplied measures- 22"W X 39"H X 10"D. This puts the top of my panels at about 8' with the over/under configuration...not going to fly...I need to submit a change order but in order to do so, I need data supporting the larger than expected enclosure size...Table 312.6(A) minimum wire bending space doesnt help me so I need to find something that supports heat dissipation....If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated..I have already contacted Square D Engineers and the limited response was, let's just say little to be desired....

BAHTAH

Lighting panel

Lighting panel

I have a project that calls for 200A lighting contactors feeding 200A MLO sub panels. The riser diagram mounting orientation has the contactors under the panels. I received the gear yesterday and it quickly became apparent that the enclosure for the contactors is much larger than originally anticipated. The nema 1 enclosure that Square D supplied measures- 22"W X 39"H X 10"D. This puts the top of my panels at about 8' with the over/under configuration...not going to fly...I need to submit a change order but in order to do so, I need data supporting the larger than expected enclosure size...Table 312.6(A) minimum wire bending space doesnt help me so I need to find something that supports heat dissipation....If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated..I have already contacted Square D Engineers and the limited response was, let's just say little to be desired....

Does SQ-D have a 200amp panel with contactor. The unit as a combination may be smaller.
Just a thought.

Dr.Sparks

Square D does offer a panel mount contactor but it isnt compatible with the panels that I have. Now I have to submit the changes, wait for apporoval, re-order the new panels, return the current panels, ....etc. and in the interim, miss my monthly progress billing cycle for the gear because it cant be installed...blah, blah...sorry, just venting because it seems anymore that the engineers and the architects put all of the actual design on the contractors...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It would seem that between Art 404.6 and 110.26 you would have all the NEC support data necessary to prohibit the installation without having to worry about heat dissipation, etc.

JES2727

Who spec'd the equipment? If it's not your design, and you of course didn't build it, I don't see why you need to supply justification for the bigger enclosure. It's not your mistake.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
... I need data supporting the larger than expected enclosure size...
Try the UL Listing.

Equipment enclosures sizes are primarily based on UL requirements not per any NEC table. Although sometimes manufacturers like to use one enclosure for several different purpose, resulting in non-optimized sizes. Remember the NEC rarely applies to factory manufactured products.

Status
Not open for further replies.