Any code issues regarding backfeeding a breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Property manager wanted me to inspect the sub panel, and I saw a 30amp 240v. disconnect on the outside, feeding a new murray sub panel in the laundry room. It's a indoor load center 200 amp. and they didn't use the main breaker, they went to a 30amp 240v breaker backfeed, to supply the sub panel. Any thing wrong with this? I think the breaker has to be rated for this right? How would I find that info also. Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If there is a 30 amp disco ahead of the panel they could have gone straight to the 200 amp breaker on the panel-- Wire size may be an issue tho.

zappy

Yes, a main breaker kit would work also for the dp 30 amp breaker already installed

Thanks for your help everyone. What does a main breaker kit consist of? Also I didn't see anything wrong either going to that 200 amp main, the feeder is protected by a 30amp fused disco.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What does a main breaker kit consist of?

Main breaker kit usually is a piece of plastic that fastens to the loadcenter and keep pressure on the breaker so it can't pull out.

Here is a bad picture of a breaker with the retainer clip for GE

SIEMEAE02265_3_PE_010TH.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I backfeed Siemens breakers all the time for small subpanels. But I'll admit, I've never checked the listing.:-?

norcal

Main breaker kit usually is a piece of plastic that fastens to the loadcenter and keep pressure on the breaker so it can't pull out.

SIEMEAE02265_3_PE_010TH.jpg

The picture you posted is of a Siemens breaker & retainer.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Unless the breaker itself has its terminals marked line and load, you are permitted to use either set of terminals as the line, per the UL listing for breakers.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Unless the breaker itself has its terminals marked line and load, you are permitted to use either set of terminals as the line, per the UL listing for breakers.
As Don said, breakears are intended to be back fed unless they have a label saying otherwise. And as long as the breaker is mechanically fastened (i.e. held by a screw) in the panel.

zappy

I've called a few supply houses and big orange, and I can find a retainer clip for a 30amp two pole Murray breaker. Can I use a tex head screw to hold it down, or any screw for that matter.

electricmanscott

I've called a few supply houses and big orange, and I can find a retainer clip for a 30amp two pole Murray breaker. Can I use a tex head screw to hold it down, or any screw for that matter.

I think the Murray clip snaps in without screws. If it does need a screw one would be provided.

TOOL_5150

Dennis, you should remove that picture. Its on a secure server, notice: "https://" and causing a certificate popup to come up every time page 1 on the thread is accessed. :)

~Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.