Had a Shocking Experience Yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our jurisdiction we perform a temporary electrical final on a residence before releasing the power so the power company can turn on the electricity. We look at service panel and make sure it is safe to turn on the power.

This residence has a generator transfer switch connected to the service panel and I noticed splices in the wiring to four or five breakers with different gauge wires spliced together. I was moving wires around to try and figure out what was going on all of a sudden zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap.

The electrician on site had taken a #12, dismantled the temporary pole box and tied directly into the hot side of the meter, ran it to the service panel in the house and wired it to the meter outside the residence. I had no way of knowing that the service panel was hot!

Needless to say I was a little upset! Checked all licenses and requested one apprentice to leave....license expired, and required the residential wireman to remove all temporary wiring.

I met with the master electrician, not too happy with him either. He stated we do this all the time! Well guess what? Not any more in this city!

Just had to share my experience because the outcome could have been a lot worse!

Electricians, if you feel you need to make something hot to check out your work, at least make it as safe as possible.

BryKey

I spent 6 years doing residential and every trim out we would tap into the temp. to power everything. I would use a 10/3 extension cord, into the 220 on the temp, then alligator clips to the meter base. Once powered we would hot check, fix any issues, then disconnect. NEVER would an inspection be called for the same day.

Cavie

It's very common in SW FL to have the permenent service to be HOT all during construction as it is used for temp power. You must have a sign reading "Dangere service energized" I don't like it because the drywallers take the cover off and throw it on the garage floor and don't put it back. It is nice if you can get the A/C guy in there first and you can trimout in A/C. Reguardless, ALWAYS check before sticking hands ionto a panel on a construction site.

sharnrock

We're on a job right now (southeast FL), the homeowner is trying to get one of his elevators working to get up on his captain's peak. We had to have all of our panel covers on and they all had to be able to be locked. We then had to get a special permit that allowed the utility company to give us temporary power for 30 days.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
You broke rule #1, you made an assumption instead of checking power first.

I do realize you're an inspector, but it sounds like you should be carrying a hotstick with you. It's a $20 dollar tool, no reason not too, fortunately at least this wasn't a 480v panel!

nakulak

We had part of a strip mall wired hot to a 2 or 3000 amp service, new trough, cts, etc to old gear, after the poco engineer, local meter foreman, and one other crew had come through, they sent meter crew to install meter and BAM, the guy cut hot feed without checking. I was stunned and mad at myself for not putting warning signs up. we lost a little wire, but fortunately noone was hurt, but I will never forget to put up warning signs, guards, or whatever again. there is no substitute for safety.

charlietuna

I agree with "COW". And i have had other trades jack cords from the temporary into the perminent power to get lights and other outlets on. Rule number one-"expect everything hot until confirmed dead"! One one commercial job --277 volt lighting -- the drywall finishers wired a telephone four pair cable from their "boom box" to a switchbox! That "boombox" melted in place!!! That was over the weekend. On Monday, i asked them about it and the guy said they had been using that same telephone cable to run their mud mixing drill motor,guy said "we noticed it was running very fast"???

I hate to say this, but this was your OWN fault!! as someone said, you need to make sure things are OFF/SAFE before you stick your hand in there. Im sure OSHA has something to say about this. I understand you are an inspector, but that does not make you immune.

Maybe some NFPA 70e training would help you.

mxslick

Ok guys, let's keep it civil and on topic. :rolleyes:

No one here is perfect, I'm willing to bet we've ALL accidentally gotten into an energized panel or circuit, be it from being lazy, forgetful, mismarked disconnects/breakers, or whatever.

I have had a few close calls due to the above reasons, and I try hard not to repeat the mistake.

I'm sure the OP has it in his mind now to check a bit more carefully before poking around in panels.

Brother has a good idea, and I'm gonna look into that NFPA 70e training myself.

I've been inspecting since 1984 and this is the FIRST time this has ever happened to me! I was there to get the power turned on for a temp final.

Will I check from here on out? You betcha!

The main reason I posted this was to remind folks it does happen. I was very lucky!

Jim Shorts

Watch out for hardwood floor guys and their sanders. They have a bad habit of backfeeding a dryer or range receptacle off of a generator or temporary service. Really easy to get bit when they do that.

iMuse97

It's very common in SW FL to have the permenent service to be HOT all during construction as it is used for temp power.

Same around here with resi and general light commercial services. We get the services inspected as soon as their installed and then POCO heats it up. But I've never yet seen any sign which highlights that fact. I'll be using signs from now on.

Common practice can create expectations for one thing or another; in our case, at every new construction job we go to, the first thing we look for is to see if POCO's been there yet, b/c then we don't bother with the generator.

Good post, Mule. Glad your fingers are not burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.