Copper bonding grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESI

First thread, so go easy!

I am having a hard time finding a 100' X 3' roll of copper bonding grid. Can anyone help in this regard? I need it for a outdoor spa hookup.Thanks

mayjong

indeed, RESI-
the common thought (mostly) here is that the #8 copper is not required to be in a "grid" pattern. if you read the wording quickly it does seem to say that, but if you read it carefully, it does not...

RESI

Copper Bonding grid

Copper Bonding grid

Here is an exerpt from 680.26, NEC 2005

(2) Perimeter Surfaces. An equipotential bonding grid shall extend 3 ft horizontally beyond the inside walls of a pool, outdoor spa, or outdoor hot tub, including unpaved, paved, and poured concrete surfaces. The bonding grid shall comply with (a) or (b) and be attached to the conductive pool reinforcing steel at a minimum of four points uniformly spaced around the perimeter of the walls of a pool, outdoor spa, or outdoor hot tub.

It says grid several times. The grid is #8 solid copper and welded at each crossing. It seems that this grid material is the easiest way to go. Thanks

Doug S.

Here is an exerpt from 680.26, NEC 2005 ... ... ...
It says grid several times. The grid is #8 solid copper and welded at each crossing. It seems that this grid material is the easiest way to go. Thanks

NEC 2005 said:
680.26(C)(3) Alternate Means. This system shall be permitted to be constructed as specified in (a) through (c):

So the grid is an option... probably an expensive one.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Doug S.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe the 2005 required the grid which you can make with copper wire but then you need a gazillion split bolts to connect it all together.

Section 680.26 is very different in the 2008.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Resi, The area I work never did adopt the 2005, so perhaps someone more familiar with '05 will direct us, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of a TIA changing 680.26:http://iaei-western.org/Files/Code/2005_TIA-92.pdf
Although that TIA does not address perimeter surfaces it does address the grid.
I am told by others that under the '05 most pool installers elected to surround the pool with 1 run of re-bar as opposed to the alternate grid.
Hopefully, someone more familiar with '05 will add to this.

radiopet

RESI,

I think you are working with the 2005 NEC in your area ( as I am in VA also ) but the reference you posted is from the 2008 NEC.

Here is a suggestion for you. Contact your local building official and ask them if you install the pool EQP in accordance with the 2008 NEC even if under the 2005 NEC. Will they accept the application as meeting the intent.

I think what you will find is that many will even if the NEC 2008 has not be absorbed into the system through the acceptable of the 2009 IBC or IRC.

RESI

DougS- I found a company that sells the grid material. It comes in 2 0r 3 foot widths by 100 feet long for about $500.00. With tax added and no markup, it comes out to about $5.25 per foot. It also comes with stakes and connectors (splitbolts).

Thanks to all who replied to my thread. Two local electrical inspectors said a EQB grid is required for a spa/hot tub installed outside.

I did read the link to the TIA for article 680.26, and to me, it refers to pools, not spas installed outside on the ground.

Thanks guys and have a blessed day.

JohnJ0906

Thanks to all who replied to my thread. Two local electrical inspectors said a EQB grid is required for a spa/hot tub installed outside.

I did read the link to the TIA for article 680.26, and to me, it refers to pools, not spas installed outside on the ground.
680.42 requires hot tubs installed outside to comply with parts I and II of 680, for all intents and purposes it is treated as a swimming pool.

Thanks guys and have a blessed day.
Same to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.