Feeder to Well House

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If I understand 225.33 correctly, with the '08 deletion of L&A Panelboards, one could run a 30A feeder to a detached well house and install a 6 circuit panel as the disconnecting means. If there is are two circuits utilized in the 6 ckt panel..say a dp for the well and a sp for a light/receptacle and it is fed by a 30 amp feeder, I see no problem.
Now when taking 225.39 into consideration, if there was a 3rd breaker (say the ligating and receptacle were fed by different branch circuits) would the feeder then have to be a minimum of 60 amp to satisfy 225.39(B) ?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I believe the disconnect in question is the one at the detached building. So you could still have a 30A feeder sourcing this panel. However, the disconnect rating has now been clarified for feeders to be just like that of a service -- you can add up the breakers to determine the rating of the disconnect if there is no single main. So as long as the well, branch circuit 1, and branch circuit 2 add up to 60, then you're set. They make no mention of adding up per phase, so I'm assuming you can just sum each breaker rating whether one pole or two pole. Throw in a 4th breaker to nowhere if you have to in order to reach 60.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You base what on the load? If you're saying a disconnect rating, I disagree. A disconnect's rating is what is stamped on it or the sum of the handles in the case of a 2 to 6 handle disconnect. You don't have to use all the handles.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't disagree, Stickboy, but that makes so little sense it didn't even seem possible for the NEC. What difference does it make what size disconnect is in place if the feeder is 30 amp ?

stickboy1375

I don't disagree, Stickboy, but that makes so little sense it didn't even seem possible for the NEC. What difference does it make what size disconnect is in place if the feeder is 30 amp ?

Got me, But I know for a fact that 225.39 clearly says rating of disconnect, not rating of feeder. :)

no idea why whey spec a minimum size disconnect.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I agree with you Gus- it makes little sense but it does appear to be the way it reads.

iwire

Staff member

I can see your point but I have seen a panel statement to the effect that 'it says what it says' it is the disconnect rating and nothing to do with the feeder.

iwire

Staff member
If I understand 225.33 correctly, with the '08 deletion of L&A Panelboards, one could run a 30A feeder to a detached well house and install a 6 circuit panel as the disconnecting means.

I think you could if you can still comply with 225.36.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.