When a 1/4" bit is not 1/4"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I went to buy some masonary bits for my new TE-6 (1/4" and 3/16") and noticed the 1/4" seemed a litle large. I then pulled a 1/4" bit from a box of plastic anchors and sure enough the Hilti was larger. This bothers me because I also use 1/4" tapcons and I know if the hole is too big they won't hold, I didn't get the chance to compare the 3/16" bits though. Has anyone noticed this?

wireguru

I too found I needed to undersize the tapcon bit. Used a bosch 3/16 for tapcons that needed a 3/16 and the screws wouldnt hold -had to go to the 5/32

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I always use a smaller masonry bit with tapcons than what they recommend and suggest that you do the same. I also suggest you buy and use BOSCH masonry bits exclusively.

Where Tapcon says to use a 3/16" bit... I use a 5/32" (etc).

I wonder if that is becase the hole is getting to big because of wobble when drilliing? It's easy to make to big a hole in mansonry.

c2500

I use Bosch bits, and have never had a problem when using the bit size specified on the package. I do not care for the included bits.

c2500

Sharpie

I use the size specified, but I can't use the bit they come with in my Hilti which uses SDS+. If I'm careful to make a clean hole (no wobble) it usually works pretty well. If it's really soft brick, I may need to use a longer screw or stick some toothpicks in the hole - that is a trick that has saved me many times.:grin:

mark32

Okay, if I were keeping score two members undersize their masonary bits and three members use the specified sizes. Remember though, I'm comparing Hitli's SDS plus bits to the bits that come with anchor sets.

nakulak

I use the size specified, but I can't use the bit they come with in my Hilti which uses SDS+. If I'm careful to make a clean hole (no wobble) it usually works pretty well. If it's really soft brick, I may need to use a longer screw or stick some toothpicks in the hole - that is a trick that has saved me many times.:grin:

toothpicks degrade over time. try using plastic or lead if you want the anchor to hold over time.

Cavie

Okay, if I were keeping score two members undersize their masonary bits and three members use the specified sizes. Remember though, I'm comparing Hitli's SDS plus bits to the bits that come with anchor sets.

You need to use the propere sized bits. 1/4" tapcon screws do not use a 1/4" bit. 5/16" screws do not use a 5/16" bit. If you look at a tapcon screw, you wilil see two different sized threads. The bit used to drill the hole must fit the smaller diamiter thread. If you buy a box of screws it will come with the proper sized bit.

electricmanscott

Toothpicks probably violate 110.13 (A)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
toothpicks degrade over time. try using plastic or lead if you want the anchor to hold over time.
Or strands of copper wire. I've cut a chunk of straned wire, put it into the hole, and screwed the screw right into the center of the wire bundle.

active1

IMO the best bit size depends on the hardness of the material drilled. Such as the bit needs to be slightly smaller for softer crumbly materials such as old brick.

mark32

You need to use the propere sized bits. 1/4" tapcon screws do not use a 1/4" bit. 5/16" screws do not use a 5/16" bit. If you look at a tapcon screw, you wilil see two different sized threads. The bit used to drill the hole must fit the smaller diamiter thread. If you buy a box of screws it will come with the proper sized bit.

Hi there Cavie, I initially stated I wanted a 1/4" bit to use with plastic anchors, and a 3/16" bit for the 1/4" Tapcons, thanks though.

Sharpie

Thanks, good suggestions on other materials to use instead of wood. I don't know how I missed 110.13(A) :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.