short radius elbows

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirhc

Is it permitted to use short radius elbows in concealed locations, in walls or in a slab.If so, what code article permits a reduction in the allowable radius in table 2 of chapter 9.

RICK NAPIER

Short radius elbows are not bends but conduit bodies and do not fall under chapter 9 table 2 but article 314. See 314.29 for accessible requirements.

PFKK.jpg

here is a picture of a short radius elbow

cadpoint

I've never seen that, thanks for posting the picutre. All I could think of was a mini - Elbow with a flap cover. :grin:
Of course, I was trying to figure out how that could be concealed as well!

sirhc

Would this be considered a short-radius conduit body? If so, it would fall under 314.5 and the conductors contained would need to be installed prior to the fitting, which means it needs to accessible. These fittings are manufacturered up to 2 inch, so, what are the limitations on conductor size. How feasable would it be to pull 4 large conductors around a glorified plumbing 90 anyway, not very.

macmikeman

I have not seen one in years, But I remember using a bender for 1/2" emt on condo jobs in S.W. Fla, that had a reduced size shoe that had a tighter bending radius than the normal ones do. I always mistakenly thought that is what was meant by "reduced size" elbows. Nice to learn something new, and as usual right here is where I learn it..

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have not seen one in years, But I remember using a bender for 1/2" emt on condo jobs in S.W. Fla, that had a reduced size shoe that had a tighter bending radius than the normal ones do. I always mistakenly thought that is what was meant by "reduced size" elbows. Nice to learn something new, and as usual right here is where I learn it..

Yep, the 1/2" shoe on a "Chicago bender" is a very tight radius. Thats why I use the 3/4" shoe for 1/2" pipe. Always wondered about this. The 1/2" shoe on this bender is never used. At least not by me. I always considered the next guy coming along to pull the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.