Trouble shooting under ground feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Dubz

Your answer makes it obvious you must not own a ground fault locator either. The original poster made no mention of how long the distance is, making a blanket statement of "just replace the circuit" doesn't make any sense without knowing the distance. It could be 400' long, why spend that kind of money, when you could probably find/repair it in under 2 hrs?

Secondly, it could be direct bury USE, rather than pvc/UF like you mentioned. Very easy to repair underground once the fault is found. And no, just because one wire is compromised doesn't mean the rest are. So it doesn't automatically call for the whole circuit to be replaced.

A garage 400 feet away from the house? Well anything is possible?and so sure distance is a factor. Remember, my first suggestion for replacement alluded to wire fished in pipe, and replacing any damaged wire in such a case is the only feasible option. But outside of the wire being damaged when it was originally pulled, there has to be some other factor involved, which could be, rusted out conduit or degrading wire insulation.

and as we know...Rarely does wire just break and definitely will not fault to ground without the cable being compromised for some other reason.

I don?t dismiss a repair to buried USE, but if this cable has been corrosively compromised such as the sheathing degrading from age or other factors, or is buried too shallow, or the use of the wrong cable type (not USE), then just merely fixing this cable may be merely like placing a band-aid on a infected wound?more problems down the road, more cost to the homeowner.

The integrity of a previous installation should always be considered before a repair. Like I said, wire just don't short or ground-out inside a jacket for no reason. Honestly neither you or I are there, who knows what happened.

Jay Dubz

Show me how to locate a fault with a continuity tester. :cool:

I wasn?t implying that he could verify exactly where the fault was located beneath the ground using a continuity tester :cool:, but I was merely suggesting using continuity testing without line side voltage and all involved circuits open as a further verification as it relates to this problem. Like I would always tell my crew, TEST, TEST, TEST! :wink:

quogueelectric

Most damaged underground wiring problems are because the original install was not code compliant in the first place. Some fleabitten electrician cheated on the depths and when work by others ensued the cables get hit. I always walk away when I hear them trying to patch a bad install then hear later throught the grapevine how it cost them 3 times the price I originally gave them that they smirked at. Let me know how that works out for you is one of my favorite lines.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Non code compliant by 08 or 48?

I am more likely to blame poor workmanship. That little dent you put in the insulation as you bend the conductor into place under a riser, the little nick as someone puts in a new feeder to the shop. If you can see/feel the bruise or shovel mark, no matter how careful you were, clean it up and paint it with Scotchcote. Don't just pull the USE off a spool. Each time it catches on the edge makes me money. Second on the list here is gophers. Never have found a dead one but sure see a lot of teeth marks. Some insurance companies cover rodent damage by the way. Bedrock is 4-5000 feet down here so not much blamed on rocks.

Pulling or sleeveing a damaged conductor in PVC doesn't help. Once moisture gets in all bets are off. Just makes it more difficult to locate because the fault may "show up" 100' away where a coupling is leaking.

Jay Dubz

Most damaged underground wiring problems are because the original install was not code compliant in the first place. Some fleabitten electrician cheated on the depths and when work by others ensued the cables get hit. I always walk away when I hear them trying to patch a bad install then hear later throught the grapevine how it cost them 3 times the price I originally gave them that they smirked at. Let me know how that works out for you is one of my favorite lines.

Well said...my sentiments exactly....:smile: This was the main concern that I was trying to drive home in my previous posts.

480sparky

The vast majority of the faults I find were not caused by an electrician at all. Usually some other trade such as the plumber or telco trenching without locates and hitting or nicking the wire.

I've lost track of the number of those I've found. When ( or whould I say if) the offending trade realizes they've nicked a cable, they just wrap it with black tape and move on, knowing it will take a while for the fault to manifest itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.