Ugh-- dimming ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

do flavor of bulbs matter??

do flavor of bulbs matter??

All of the bulbs Are t-8, but, I see different stlyes and brands. Would it make A difference if the bulbs have a different "K" number(4100, 5000, 6000 etc) color

The Maint man said he changed the bulbs??.

My basic question is " If the bulbs are blinking upon cold startup- could the solution be anything other than changing the ballast?" ?????????? Sometimes the bulbs will start up and other times they keep on flashing.

Some brilliant EE designer who also thought a you ought to put a emergency battery back-up ballast ( with dimming capabilities)(on a three-way) above the projector sceen in a smancy-fancy board room. All of the ballast dim except the one above the screen. The powers that be expect me (dumb-nuts,that does not a degree in education or marketing) to fix it in less than a hour, and parts should not be more than $10 per ballast ??

iMuse97

All of the bulbs Are t-8, but, I see different stlyes and brands. Would it make A difference if the bulbs have a different "K" number(4100, 5000, 6000 etc) color

The Maint man said he changed the bulbs??.

My basic question is " If the bulbs are blinking upon cold startup- could the solution be anything other than changing the ballast?" ?????????? Sometimes the bulbs will start up and other times they keep on flashing.

Some brilliant EE designer who also thought a you ought to put a emergency battery back-up ballast ( with dimming capabilities)(on a three-way) above the projector sceen in a smancy-fancy board room. All of the ballast dim except the one above the screen. The powers that be expect me (dumb-nuts,that does not a degree in education or marketing) to fix it in less than a hour, and parts should not be more than $10 per ballast ??

That's a big job and the ballast and lamps must match, and the dimmer rated and listed for the purpose. Who said anything was as easy as the customer says--for instance, I have a bad breaker... my light switch won't work... etc. Nothing's ever easy. ...That's why they called you!:grin: Charge 'em for it.

480sparky

The K refers to the color of the bulb.

Again, are the ballasts designed to operate T8 bulbs, and are they dimmable ballasts?

whillis

Fluorescent bulbs need to be burned in at 100% brightness for a minimum length of time before they can be dimmed. The length of time is normally printed somewhere on the ballast and is typically around 100 hours.

rt66electric

great bit of wisdom!!

great bit of wisdom!!

Fluorescent bulbs need to be burned in at 100% brightness for a minimum length of time before they can be dimmed. The length of time is normally printed somewhere on the ballast and is typically around 100 hours.

I"ll try that way first, If it works- I'll look as SMART as I LOOK !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.