Existing main breaker panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an existing 150amp main breaker panel inside a 1960 single family dwelling, which is fed from a 3-wire service from an outside meter can. The ungrounded buss in the main breaker panel has burned, and needs to be replaced. We are in the state of Georgia(City of Roswell). We are wanting to change out the existing main breaker panel. The local building inspector is requiring a complete service change to include main disconnect outside, and four wire feeder to the new feeder panel. We have completed thousands of similar panel changes in the area, and this is the first jurisdiction to require a complete overhaul. The building inspector advised that there are no local ordinances, and that they just go by the NEC. They advised that Article 230, and 240 were their reference for the decision. Can anyone come up with an NEC code section to dispute this decision, or if he is right, what is the code section since he does not know.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It won't be directly addeessed in the code; little grandfathering is. Around here, the general rule is that, as long as you're not upsizing or increasing the run length (collectively referred to as 'increasing the danger'), the present cabling can be reused.

SEO

Are your intentions to only replace the panel with a new 150 amp panel or are you replacing cables as well? Either way I would ask the inspector for a specific code section. It's easy to say it's in the book but I can't find it. All good inspectors will cite the section. I hope he doesn't say 90.4.

iMuse97

Just knowing Roswell a little, I'd bet the inspector has a bit of a thing for keeping his "housing stock" as up-to-date as possible, and has found that people who want to work in Roswell will humour him, by doing as he asks. It's probably just and East Cobb thing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.