interesting set up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

I got a phone call from a customer telling me he wants some kind of a switch outside ,on his pole where transformer is, that would allow him to cut the power to his barn and house. This was about 8;30 last night, and he tells me that he's got a meter but you can pull his meter and still would'nt kill the power on the wires (house abd barn service conductors) When i got there today i found this set up:
Transformer on pole
Wires running to his barn one way
wires running to his house the other way
Both come from each hot side of transformer, with a center tap (neutral)
Here's where it gets interesting : each hot leg from transformer goes thru a circular looking devise up on the pole, which is attached to the meter about 10' bellow by means of something which appears to be #12
The owner tells me that it's been done about 30 years ago. And that POCO told him to hire electrician to install such a switch, this meaning working on the wires comming from transformer/
Have you all ever seen this kind of set up?
Isn't that a job for POCO peaple?

And i took pics but i can't figure out how to post them. Spent 30min trying to.CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE? Thanks

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Your have metering being done with Current Transformers (the round things), instead of having all of the current running through the meter base. this is how metering is done on services greater than 320A.

ceb58

Your have metering being done with Current Transformers (the round things), instead of having all of the current running through the meter base. this is how metering is done on services greater than 320A.

I agree with you Jim, that he has ct's for the metering. However, and it could be a regional thing, I have worked on ct'ed services that were only 150amps. I have two tower sites I am working at now one is a 150amp 208/120 3ph and the other is a 150amp 240/120 sp. and both are ct metered. I will say though both of these services were installed in the 60's and have not been upgraded by the POCO. But now,as you said, they ct every thing over 320amp.

Charlie Bob

IMG_1816.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu244/CharlieBobpics/IMG_1813.jpg
Thats right it is for metering and the meter is supposed to be 400 amp. but what kind of switch or disconnect could be install. POCO dont want to do it they said needs to be done by electritian. I supposed they go there and trip transformer first. That above are pics hopefully you'll be able to see them.

IMG_1816.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu244/CharlieBobpics/IMG_1813.jpg
Thats right it is for metering and the meter is supposed to be 400 amp. but what kind of switch or disconnect could be install. POCO dont want to do it they said needs to be done by electritian. I supposed they go there and trip transformer first. That above are pics hopefully you'll be able to see them.

you would have to install some type of service disconnect - 2 actually, but is there not a disconnecting means at each location already... What does the overhead conductors go to ? I would assume a panel or disconnect, 1 each at the house and barn ???

Charlie Bob

the wires go straight to a panel box inside the house and one in the barn.
The client wants some means of disconnecting the power to the buildings in case of fire, since the fire dept. would have to wait on the POCO as it is right now.

well I suppose you could do a meter disconnect, but regardless the POCO is going to have to give you additional wire and remake the connections to the transformer, from the disconnect.

Charlie Bob

i thought so. My client told me POCO told him they wouldn't do anything ,that it was electricians problemn. but i'm gonna call them myself tomorrow.im thinking they may have misunderstood him.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
what would be so wrong with placing a disconect switch on each building. Ground an bond as necessary.
Am I thinking too simply. Don't even see why the pole is at issue. Each building shoud have a disconnect. Wether code or not I like that to be outside.

I cn't imagine the POCO allowing the switch be placed on their pole.

Sharpie

I run with our local volunteer fire company, and it is normal to call the POCO to disconnect the power (even if we could remove a meter, we're not supposed to).
Is the Fire Dept. asking for this disconnect to be readily accessible from the outside?

Don't get me wrong, I fully support the idea of having an external disconnect, it's just not a code requirement. On the other hand, haven't you seen those scary
movies where the bad guy cuts the power to your house before he comes in to terrorize you? This just makes his job easier:rolleyes:

Also, like someone else mentioned don't disconnect the CTs without shorting them first. They'll burn them selves up.

muckusmc

Are there main breakers in the panels - Why not change them out to shunt trip breakers and just run some lines to the pole for e-stops switches for the shunts?

Status
Not open for further replies.