Article 250. 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey does anyone know when the code added Article 250. 32
requiring a detached building to have its panel connected to a grounding electrode. Should you connect to the Cold water and drive a rod.
I was replacing a burned out Main switch and there was no connection to any electrode.This place is old

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hey does anyone know when the code added Article 250. 32
requiring a detached building to have its panel connected to a grounding electrode. Should you connect to the Cold water and drive a rod.
I was replacing a burned out Main switch and there was no connection to any electrode.This place is old

Ken would have to answer the "when" part of the question but in terms of a rod and the water pipe I would say yes. If there is copper going out underground to the detached building then there should have been an EGC run with the feeder conductors.

tryinghard

I’m not sure when 250.32 was initiated in the NEC but I believe it’s always been correct practice to contain current on a conductor. It has progressed just recently between 05 & 08 to stress the rule of not bonding at separate structures as evidence that only its exception now includes the three criterions.

Bonding at a service/main causes neutral current to travel in earth only upstream to its supply rather than flash through the whole compound, opposite of this is true if incorrect bonding takes place.

You don't have to install conductive water pipe just at least one of the seven+ electrodes listed in 250.52. If water exists and is not an electrode yet conductive inside you just have to bond it 250.104(A).

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
250.24 in the 1981 code was the same as 250.32 in the 2005 code as far as the requirement for a grounding electrode at a second building.

Status
Not open for further replies.