Bonding at subpanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Augie... I completely understand your viewpoint and I want to read it that way too. I'm just saying that if you pulled out a bunch of lawyers or perhaps had someone testify to Congress, then the section could be interpreted in another way.

I like your way.
and when Congress passes a resolution telling me to "approve' the job, I'll consider it :D, until then----red tag

iwire

Staff member
I agree, I don't see a remote panelboard equipment grounding bus/bar listed in those sections.

Chris

I know Chris knows this but I will mention the NEC does not mention 'sub panels', or 'remote panels'.

If we could do this bonding at a sub panel we could also do it at any piece of load side equipment.

crossman gary

If we could do this bonding at a sub panel we could also do it at any piece of load side equipment.

I'm with you. If the EGC to the equipment was big enough, the literal wording of the Code would allow it to be used for bonding of the building steel/interior waterpipe (not used as an electrode)

I also agree that taking the bond wires directly to the service equipment is the "right" way to do it, and it is the way that I would do it And I bet that CMP5 intended that the bond directly to the service.... but they didn't make themselves perfectly clear.

If the bond wire from the building steel is sized properly, the route that it takes back to the service is not addressed. If it is inside a conduit with a feeder, well?

It gets back to previously discussed topics... can an EGC serve a dual purpose and also be the GEC? Can an EGC in a feeder also be a bond wire for the interior waterpipe?

Good questions. I don't like the dual purpose stuff. However, all I can do is read the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.