Let's Make Some Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Probably not, but I'm sure the local police and ATF would like to have a word or two thousand with me.

They're gonna need one heckuva loud bullhorn if they're wanting to talk to me from 2000 yards.
700_smiley_on_a_shooting_rampage.gif

Back on topic, there's been some pretty nice drills shown here. The one the with pole extension looks quite useful - my question with that is does it hold up (is it sturdy), and approximately how much does it weigh?

I don't have the Milwaukee version of the 30? extension. Mine's a no-name, and fits into the chuck just like any other bit. It's got a side handle (like a police baton) and it's pretty lightweight, and far less than lugging a 6' ladder around.

quogueelectric

Probably not, but I'm sure the local police and ATF would like to have a word or two thousand with me.

Back on topic, there's been some pretty nice drills shown here. The one the with pole extension looks quite useful - my question with that is does it hold up (is it sturdy), and approximately how much does it weigh?

Yes first cordless 18v li milwaulkee up to 500 sq ft. Over that right angle . Then hole hawg which lives in my shed two of tem then Super hawg on my truck for 1000-4000 sq ft rough. It is ANIMAL!!

JFletcher

WACO didn't have that type of fire power and they brought in tanks...

I don't want to get off topic again, but the weapon from which that round was fired was a single-shot Grizzly Big Boar which takes a full minute or two to reload and reposition. In the meantime, it was a basically a 28 lb baseball bat: not particularly threatening, unless wielded by the Undertaker or Hulk Hogan.

Thanks for the replies, 480sparky and quogueelectric. When I rough-in wood frame buildings, they're usually 40,000+ sq ft hotels, 3-5 stories. Drilling that many holes takes a LOT of time (especially if they spec conduit), so a serious drill and attachment/extension pole is something I may invest in.

wawireguy

Hole hawg works good. Set it to high speed though as it doesn't have as much torque. On low speed you'll get hurt if it catches. On high you should be able to hang on to it.

I bought mine the first year in business, and had it until I closed the business. It is a pleasure (and safer than drilling from a ladder) to work with one of these standing on the floor.

e57

I bought mine the first year in business, and had it until I closed the business. It is a pleasure (and safer than drilling from a ladder) to work with one of these standing on the floor.
I will agree 100% - I worked a shop that had one for 20 years untill a small pin sheared off do some long and outstandin abuse - drilled new hole for pin, shorten by an inch - back to work. After that the motor needed to get replaced a few years later... That put that drill into the 1/4 century mark with a new life.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I have one of the extensions and have also used them for years.

The difference in the drill Home depot sells is the speeds. One will turn around 900 rpm and the other is slightly over 1100... or something close to that. I learned the difference real quic whan I was a grunt and spent hours a day with one.

The 1000+ rmp is good for 3/4 - 7/8 auger bits in single or double studs. If you need to drill through 3 or more studs at a time or need to use larger augers then the lower rpm drill is best.

The faster drill saves time and is the best IMHO but some times you need the snot.

The 1000 rpm drill is also much better for the bits below..... any size. Especially going into OSB.... you want the speed so the tip bites quickly.... saves energy and time.

imgres

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The one the with pole extension looks quite useful - my question with that is does it hold up (is it sturdy), and approximately how much does it weigh?
I bought mine back in '79 or '80 and am still trying to use it up.

What I purchased was the "kit" which was an extension and the 30 degree elbow. The extension includes a drive shaft down the tube. Both the shaft and the tube are sturdy aluminum, and in spite of my attempts to repeatedly stall the motor and hold the thing at locked rotor torque, as well as dropping & knocking over the tool, the aluminum isn't damaged.
Scratched. . . but that's it.

Because the extension and shaft are aluminum, the whole tool weighs maybe only half a pound more than a stock right angle drive drill.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I know whats up with that. I post pictures and knwo how.

M0335_lg.jpg

I used the following code.

Code:
   [img]www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/M0335_lg.jpg[/img]

Both Makita and Dewalt make corded and cordless right angle drills. The Dewalt corded is unsafe as it has a long paddle switch which is prone to be hit accidentally. I personally use the Dewalt 18 volt cordless with the Dewalt rounded butterfly (or spade) bits. They make a cleaner hole.

ultramegabob

I just bought a Milwaukee right angle drill off of a guy I know today, he said he got it wheeling and dealing with someone for some work he did and he has no use for it, so he sold it to me for 20 dollars:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.