fuses and incident energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

billsnuff

can someone explain the differences between

FRS-R xxx

KTS-R xxx

LPS-RK_SPI XXX

in regards to an industrial environment (re:arc flash, motor starting and minimizing fuse inventory)?

Thanks

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
There is no one 'great for every application' fuse. Bussmann like to push their LPS-RK offering as a universal replacement.

In all of the arc flash studies I have performed, I have rarely recommended replacing existing FRS-R fuses with LPS-RK. I find that most branch circuits do not have enough arcing fault current to cause the fuse to enter its current limiting range. There have even been more cases where I suggested replacing LPS-RK fuses with FRS-R ones.

billsnuff

Pierre,

thanks for the reply. I am using FRS-R dual element time delay in most all cases. In order to lower IE, KTS-R single element current limiting are being recommended. I am trying to decide if LPS-RK dual element, time delay, current limiting is a better choice in most or all cases. Was hoping someone else had some experience to share.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Pierre,

thanks for the reply. I am using FRS-R dual element time delay in most all cases. In order to lower IE, KTS-R single element current limiting are being recommended. I am trying to decide if LPS-RK dual element, time delay, current limiting is a better choice in most or all cases. Was hoping someone else had some experience to share.

I do not think I would disagree with using KTS-R, especially for fuses smaller than 200A.

billsnuff

thanks jim,

so i guess i keep the dual inventory FSR-R and KTS-R and skip the other,
unless recommended for a specific application.

actually ran across the low peak fuses as they were sent as an equilivent for one of the others, another one of the many reasons for asking for the input.

MH.com scores again :cool:

P>S> the closest i got to being an engineer was playing with my wind up train.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.