here's the deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I have two panels approx 4" apart and energized. I need to install a 2" nipple between the two to allow for more wires. Whats a good way to drill and punch out the holes when the panels are so close?

ultramegabob

if there are any factory knock outs on the side, knock them out and then use a slug buster with a draw stud and a wrench to knock out the larger holes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With 4" of space you should be able to punch the KO's with a standard hydraulic punch. Is there some type of obstruction?

hurk27

With 4" between, I say use a unibit to drill the hole in each panel, to use a knockout punch. but you will have to have a running thread nipple or 2 two piece connectors for EMT, or for PVC put a 2"coupling between the panels and use the glue in bushing in each end. not sure how long a 2" PVC coupling is though:-?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
service that rivals the "big box stores" and information almost as valuable :grin:

dduffee260

Maybe you could use a short nipple with locknuts on one side with a collar and a chase nipple on the other side. That way you don't have to pry the panels apart to make up one end. Or maybe go 2 1/2" and use a collar with 2 chase nipples which might be close to 4 inches.

e57

First shut down panel.... Or do yourself a favor - do a fault calc and select proper PPE...

Then score some of them carbide hole cutters, properly align, drill and install a 3-peice fitting, or RMC nipple (to size) with a coupling and chase nipple.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Might not be too pretty, but it sounds like a good spot for a piece of running thread....No need to get spun up about working the lock nuts on this way.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A couple of years ago, I added a sub-panel as a generator panel next to the original panel, which was flush-mounted in a finished garage, and I wanted to leave the walls untouched.

I hole-sawed through the stud, pried out the original panel's 2" factory KO in the side, and used a steel nipple with only one locknut on each end, inside each panel, but I used an EGC.

I would think the OP could cut his holes from inside each panel, and he ought to be able to loosen each panel enough to insert a nipple with locknuts between them if they're surface-mounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.