gfi indicator light

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Do they still sell gfis without the indicator light?
Supplier here says not from Leviton.
thanks

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
well what if you have a darkroom?
or don't like them??
what's wrong with a choice/

how about led only comes on with a fault condition, not to show ready.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
well what if you have a darkroom?
or don't like them??
what's wrong with a choice/

how about led only comes on with a fault condition, not to show ready.

people stll use film :grin:

Seriously I think that Leviton is phasing them out I'd look for old stock or another brand.
How many darkrooms are you going to wire these days anyhow?

Mr. Bill

How about a waste of energy. A fraction of a Watt multiplied by millions of devices adds up to real power wasted. Just another addition to the list of phantom loads. Electronics that use energy when "off".

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How about a waste of energy. A fraction of a Watt multiplied by millions of devices adds up to real power wasted. Just another addition to the list of phantom loads. Electronics that use energy when "off".
You're right! *gasp!* It's a power-company conspiracy! :cool:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
And Maybe , just Maybe with all the power saved in the country by not lighting those LED's we could save enough power to light up my home for ONE second.:confused:

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Pass & Seymour Legrand

Pass & Seymour Legrand

Seems like pass & seymour has them with trip indicator.
Leviton not.
My favorite supply house says they have some old stock for me.

SPARKS40

That would explain the $100.00 or so increase to my electric bill last winter.....:wink:

macmikeman

Its why they make double bubble chewing gum for; to stick over the little bitty light so it don't ruin your negatives. Alternate solution - put the gfi in an outlet outside the darkroom and run the interior of the darkroom outlets on the load side. But please run one thing past me first..... why we putting gfi outlets in darkrooms for anyway is there a sink to deal with in there?

Call me a darkroom dullard, never stepped into one.

480sparky

.............Call me a darkroom dullard, never stepped into one.

darkroom.jpg

100_0829.jpg

100_1978.jpg

_DSC8029.jpg

Last edited:

ItsHot

sink

sink

Its why they make double bubble chewing gum for; to stick over the little bitty light so it don't ruin your negatives. Alternate solution - put the gfi in an outlet outside the darkroom and run the interior of the darkroom outlets on the load side. But please run one thing past me first..... why we putting gfi outlets in darkrooms for anyway is there a sink to deal with in there?

Call me a darkroom dullard, never stepped into one.
Most all true darkrooms have a sink.

Mr. Bill

You're right! *gasp!* It's a power-company conspiracy! :cool:
Another person asked what's wrong with the indicator light. I gave my opinion of what I don't like about it. Nothing about a power-company conspiracy. :-? More about a manufacturer using flashy new technology as a gimmick to increase sales. An always on LED does nothing to improve the performance or usefulness of the GFI.

Phantom loads are at least 10% of a household's total power consumption. I am just trying not to increase this further. "Add up all Americans, and the phantom load accounts for $10 billion in energy costs ever year. Yes, $10 billion. And the load demands 100 billion kilowatt hours of electricity." I don't know what the exact wattage is for these tiny LEDs but it's not zero. Because it's pocket change for you and me doesn't mean it is negligable when added up nationally.

Actually the power companies around here just started rebates to reduce energy loads on their grid. $0.35 per watt reduced for lighting. Plus other rebates. Up to $100k per customer per year. Seems it costs them more to build more capacity so they're trying to increase capacity by lowering demand. Power companies aren't always the enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.