Old Code Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmethvin

I recently was called to a residence where the homeowner was in the process of trying to close on the sale of their home. During their closing process they became aware that a portion of their home was an addition and was built without permits. Although she purchased the home in 2000 with the addition having been there for years the City of Portland, OR is now requireing her to hire my company to ensure that it met the code requirements of 1984 when it was done. I don't have a code from that time. There is washer, dryer, jacuzzi bath tub, bathroom, small bedroom and small living room in this addition. My question is what are the minimum amount of branch circuits required for this addition? What were the receptacle spacing requirements at that time?

masterinbama

This is going off the top of my head

washer 1 laundry circuit required

dryer 1 Dryer circuit 3 or 4 wire depending on local code

jacuzzi bath tub 1 GFCI circuit

bathroom 1 20 amp circuit unless it was added to an existing 20 amp bath circuit

small bedroom + small living room in this addition. can be combined on 1 15 amp circuit

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
This is going off the top of my head

washer 1 laundry circuit required

dryer 1 Dryer circuit 3 or 4 wire depending on local code

jacuzzi bath tub 1 GFCI circuit

bathroom 1 20 amp circuit unless it was added to an existing 20 amp bath circuit ( are you sure for the 1984 era. I think is was still alowed to share the lighting circuit!)

small bedroom + small living room in this addition. can be combined on 1 15 amp circuit
bathroom 1 20 amp circuit unless it was added to an existing 20 amp bath circuit ( are you sure for the 1984 era. I think is was still alowed to share the lighting circuit!)

Sonny Boy

I recently was called to a residence where the homeowner was in the process of trying to close on the sale of their home. During their closing process they became aware that a portion of their home was an addition and was built without permits.

How many amps is the main service? Is there a subpanel that feeds the addition?

There is washer, dryer, jacuzzi bath tub, bathroom, small bedroom and small living room in this addition.

Lighting load was calculated at 3 watts per sq foot in the 1984 NEC.

Bathroom: GFCI receptacle required adjacent to the sink. Did not have to be a dedicated branch circuit like 2008 NEC.

Laundry room: did not require a dedicated 20 amp circuit. If I'm not mistaken, the washer receptacle did not have to be a GFCI.

Dryer: I think a 3-wire circuit was acceptable in the 1984 NEC.

My question is what are the minimum amount of branch circuits required for this addition? What were the receptacle spacing requirements at that time?

What's the total sq. ft of the addition? Do a load calc and let us now the results.

I'm waiting to be corrected by the more knowledgeable electrical gurus on this site.:D

cowboyjwc

Staff member

For 1984 he may not even be required to have a GFCI for the Jacuzzi tub. I'm sure that you need a laundry circuit, and you could get by with a three wire for the dryer, if it's electric, but everything else could share a 15 amp circuit it you wanted.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
20 amp laundry circuit required 220-3(2)(c)

Here's where spa tubs used to get tricky. Article 680 Section D Spas, Hot Tubs and Hydromassage Bathtubs. 680-41(3) says: Receptacles that provide power for a spa or hot tub shall be ground-fault circuit-interruper protected. It doesn't mention hydromassage bathtubs.

In the new code Hydromassage Bathtubs have their own section and requires a GFCI (2005). Not saying don't put one in, just saying it wasn't required.

Sonny Boy

20 amp laundry circuit required 220-3(2)(c)QUOTE]

I wasn't sure about that one. I thought it was 1500 VA included in the load calcs.

More stuff:

SER cable was allowed for the range and dryer.

No disconnect required for the water heater.

Receptacle spacing is the same as today.

SEO

20 amp laundry circuit required 220-3(2)(c)

Here's where spa tubs used to get tricky. Article 680 Section D Spas, Hot Tubs and Hydromassage Bathtubs. 680-41(3) says: Receptacles that provide power for a spa or hot tub shall be ground-fault circuit-interruper protected. It doesn't mention hydromassage bathtubs.

In the new code Hydromassage Bathtubs have their own section and requires a GFCI (2005). Not saying don't put one in, just saying it wasn't required.

One problem prior to the inclusion of hydromassage bathtubs was that the bonding was the same as a pool. A #8 solid hitting all metal parts within 5'.

Jim W in Tampa

I recently was called to a residence where the homeowner was in the process of trying to close on the sale of their home. During their closing process they became aware that a portion of their home was an addition and was built without permits. Although she purchased the home in 2000 with the addition having been there for years the City of Portland, OR is now requireing her to hire my company to ensure that it met the code requirements of 1984 when it was done. I don't have a code from that time. There is washer, dryer, jacuzzi bath tub, bathroom, small bedroom and small living room in this addition. My question is what are the minimum amount of branch circuits required for this addition? What were the receptacle spacing requirements at that time?
It was added in 84 but we need know what year code they were on at time.
bathroom can share lighting circuit and likely no gfi issues back then. Would worry about a service calculation. Seems if its been working 25 years that i would not worry.

480sparky

Laundry outlet required -- 210-50(e).

Laundry circuit required -- 220-3(c).

Bathroom outlet required -- 210-52(c).

Bathroom outlet requires GFCI -- 210-8(a)(1).

Whirlpool does not require GFCI -- 680-41 refers only to wiring methods in Ch. 3.

Dryer would require seperate circuit if it's electric -- 422-5(a).

Number of branch circuits would need calculation.

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
If the addition is close to 600 square feet (calculated from outside dimensions), then one should look closely at how many General Lighting Circuits are in the addition. A 15 Amp circuit will cover 600 square feet of "habitable space".

The Laundry circuit was 20 Amp and not GFl'd.

The dryer, if fuel fired and 120 volt, ran on that single Laundry circuit.

The Bath receptacles had to be GFI'd but nothing else. . .that is, the bath receptacle was supplied by a General Lighting circuit (the 15 amp circuit).

If there was access into the space above the ceiling, attic space, a light was needed.

1984 was the early years of Jacuzzi style bathtubs and local inspection (in my experience) tended to err on the side of great caution. Bonding all the metal parts was a real chore, as many of the tub drain fittings and jet nozzles were metal, even when the piping was plastic. I had one inspector that demanded all lighting within 5 feet horizontally and 7.5 feet vertically be GFI'd and all receptacles within 20 feet be GFI'd (I had to string a cord from the edge of the tub through doors to search for receptacles "within 20 feet"). And, for him, the motor was, of course, GFI'd.

Last edited:

1984 NEC
These are the GFCI requirements for dwellings
[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]
210-8. Ground-Fault Protection for Personnel.
(a) Dwelling Units.
(1)
All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed
in bathrooms shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for
personnel.
(2) All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere receptacles installed in
garages shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Italic]
Exception No. 1 to (a)(2): Receptacles which are not readily accessible.
Exception No. 2 to (a)(2): Receptacles for appliances occupying
dedicated space which are cord- and plug-connected in accordance with
Section 400-7(a)(6), (a)(7), or (a)(8).
[/FONT][/FONT]
~- Receptacles installed under Exceptions to Section 210-8(a)(2) shall not
be considered as meeting the .requirements of Section 210-52(0.
(3) All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed
outdoors where there is direct grade level access to the dwelling unit and to
the receptacles shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for
personnel.
- Such ground-'fault circuit-interrupter protection may be provided for
othex-circuits, locations, and occupancies, and, where used, will provide
- additional protection against line-to-ground shock hazard.
(FPN): See Section 215-9 for feeder protection.
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

B

Branch Circuits Required -
2- small appliance branch circuits - 20A
1- laundry Circuit - 20A
(In the '84 code, there is no requirement for the bathroom to be supplied by it's own circuit.)
1- general lighting circuit

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Pierre,

Small Appliance branch circuits? There's no Kitchen in the addition.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
About the Jacuzzi motor: I forgot to add, that, in 1984, if more than 50% of the capacity of a multi outlet circuit were used for the load of the motor, the motor couldn't be on that circuit.

As a rule, the motor required its own circuit.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
20 amp laundry circuit required 220-3(2)(c)QUOTE]

I wasn't sure about that one. I thought it was 1500 VA included in the load calcs.

More stuff:

SER cable was allowed for the range and dryer.

No disconnect required for the water heater.

Receptacle spacing is the same as today.

Since we are required to retain all of the codes that we have ever enforced, I just happen to have a 1984 code book.:grin:

But Jim does bring up a point, that it may have been permited under the 1981 code, but I would guess that it reads the same.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If the addition does not have a kitchen, then you had better install one, or you will not need to worry about the 2-small appliance branch circuits. ;):grin:

I have the codes since '81 online.:cool:

I agree with Pierre, why would you need the small appliance branch circuits if you don't install the kitchen. :grin::grin:

It's a good thing you caught that Pierre.:roll:

Codes online, "sigh". I can only dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.