31Amps on a 30 Amp Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBCMD1

I seem to recall somewhere in the code that you canput a 31 Amp circuit on a 30 amp breaker. I have a Battery Charger that the name plate rating is 31 Amps @ 240 Volt 1?. Just want to confirm weather to use 30, 35, 40 Amp Breaker.:confused:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I seem to recall somewhere in the code that you canput a 31 Amp circuit on a 30 amp breaker. I have a Battery Charger that the name plate rating is 31 Amps @ 240 Volt 1?. Just want to confirm weather to use 30, 35, 40 Amp Breaker.:confused:

That would be true. Go with the 40 amp breaker and wire
welcome to the forum.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm hard pressed to state it's a Code violation, someone else may know what Article, but I don't know why you would want to. The conductor must be sized to the load and any breaker sized below the load would just be a looking for trouble. If the battery charger operates at full load for 3 hours or more, it would be considered a "continuous load" and your load would be calculated as 39 amps.
Were it mine, I'd go with a #8 on a 40 amp breaker

edit: Thanks Chris...I thought it should be there, but I missed it. My hats off

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Take a look at 210.23 also.
Permissable loads . in no case shall the load exeed the branch cicuit ampere rating.

BOBCMD1

Thanks Chris, By the Way Love your avatar. Did you make it or is it available? My daughter would Love it, she is a real headbanger. Also I ride a 2007 HD Softtail. As to my Question, I guess it was a Brain Fart. You get those after 50.

BOBCMD1

Thanks Guys! I must have had a BRAIN FART!

Thanks Guys! I must have had a BRAIN FART!

As to my Question - I must have had a " BRAIN FART ". I knew that, I just couldn't pull it out of this 55 year old brain.

Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.