GFCI Protectection on Pool Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYHigh

Ok so I understand that GFCI protection is not required on pool heaters, but there is just something that bothers me about that. I must say that I am persistent to put one on anyway, so the question:

Since the heater accepts only 2 hots and a Grounding conductor, is there a special GFCI breaker for this application, or should I just use a regular GFCI Breaker and use the grounding conductor as a neutral?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
connect both lines normally.

grounding conductor goes to the ground bar.

neutral from breaker goes to neutral bar.

there is no connection to the CB neutral.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I agree-- Use a standard dp gfci but you must connect the neutral wire from the CB to the neutral bar even if there is no load neutral.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You must remember that it wasn't always required for a pool pump to be GFCI protected when it was direct wired. The 2008 code makes that necessary.

NYHigh

Wiring it this way, will the GFCI breaker still function properly in case of a ground fault with no load neutral? I see how it could still function as a regular breaker, but detecting a ground fault?

Last edited:

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Wiring it this way, will the GFCI breaker still function properly in case of a ground fault with no load neutral? I see how it could still function as a regular breaker, but detecting a ground fault?

Yes. A two pole GFCI looks for differences between the to ungrounded conductors. If there is a difference, it must be balanced by the current in the neutral or else it trips.

So with no neutral connected, any current difference in the two hot lines will trip the GFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.