Grandfather clause

Status
Not open for further replies.

rheydel1

Where in the NEC does it state that existing installations do not have to be repaired (Grandfather clause ) unless there is "iminent danger"? you guys told me once but I forgot and now I can't find it again. THANKS

M. D.

I don't think there is one,.. the adopted code is the code and only covers the work done after it's adoption by an idividual state ..It is a ,.."from this point forward" code .. not an "oh boy we got to rewire the U.S. again",. type.

P.S. check atricle 80 ,.. it is not part of the code unless adopted...80.9? maybe??

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
what code is that might I ask?

Article 80 was moved from the body of the NEC to Annex H for the 2005 NEC. It now is not considered part of the code unless specifically adopted by a jurisdiction.

Here is what 80.9(B) says:

80.9 Application.
(B) Existing Installations.
Existing electrical installations that do not comply with the provisions of this Code shall be permitted to be continued in use unless the authority having jurisdiction determines that the lack of conformity with this Code presents an imminent danger to occupants. Where changes are required for correction of hazards, a reasonable amount of time shall be given for compliance, depending on the degree of the hazard.

Chris

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
It now is not considered part of the code unless specifically adopted by a jurisdiction.

True, but even when it was "Article 80", it wasn't part of the code unless specifically adopted.

80.5: Adoption - Article 80 shall not apply unless specifically adopted......

Steve

Where in the NEC does it state that existing installations do not have to be repaired (Grandfather clause ) unless there is "iminent danger"? you guys told me once but I forgot and now I can't find it again. THANKS

OSHA's electrical rules however do have a somewhat complex elaboration on grandfathering specific rules within the OSHA document. OSHA's scope is limited when compared to NEC. Some of the NON-grandfathered areas are; coordinated protection and corresponding equipment rating, grounding and installation in hazardous areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.