Tap Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdjs

I just installed a 50 foot ug feeder to a 100 amp main breaker panel located in the tack room of a horsebarn in pvc conduit.It ran from a 200 amp comb.meter disconnect on the side of a house to the barn.I tappped[crimp conn.] the wires with the house conductors into the 200 amp breaker.The inspector said the barn panel exceeds tap rule.Where does 240.21[5] come in to play?Should I have installed a means of OCP off the 200amp disconnect before feeding the barn panel?

Last edited:

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
How could he do that and be compliant? The OCPD is 200 amp and the sub panel is 100 amp. Would he not need to install a 100 amp breaker in the meter main or install a 100 amp breaker in the house panel to feed the new sub?

I am asking?.......Thanks

ultramegabob

How could he do that and be compliant? The OCPD is 200 amp and the sub panel is 100 amp. Would he not need to install a 100 amp breaker in the meter main or install a 100 amp breaker in the house panel to feed the new sub?

I am asking?.......Thanks

Tap rule allows you to protect the wire at the far end. the OP is installing a 100 amp main breaker panel at the barn.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't see any violation of a tap rule. If you met all the requirements of 240.21(B)(5) and the tap meets Code, I don't see the violation.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
From post#2 by megabob:

Outside Feeder Tap of Unlimited Length Rule [240.21(B)(5)
Outside feeder tap conductors can be of unlimited length without overcurrent protection at the point they receive their supply, but they must be installed in accordance with the following requirements:
(1) The tap conductors shall be suitably protected from physical damage.
(2) The tap conductors shall terminate at a single circuit breaker or a single set of fuses that limit the load to the ampacity of the conductors. This single overcurrent device shall be permitted to supply any number of additional overcurrent devices on its load side.
(3) The overcurrent device for the tap conductors is an integral part of a disconnecting means or shall be located immediately adjacent thereto.
(4) The disconnect is located at a readily accessible location either outside the building or structure, or nearest the point of entry of the service conductors.

If you met all of the above requirements I think you are compliant.
#4 is always a sticky point and pretty much up to the inspectors interpetation.

dcspector

There are many who are only familiar with the 10ft and 25ft tap rules.
from the OP's post, it seems to be compliant, it is possible we are not hearing what the inspector is seeing.

Pierre this was my intent on post#9....It is difficult to read a post and not actually see it with our own eyes or seeing it through some one elses eyes...Oh well. All I know is I am looking forward to meeting with my IAEI chapter in Hampton,Va. Seminar and classes this week end, and talk eye to eye instead of a damn computer.

Pierre this was my intent on post#9....It is difficult to read a post and not actually see it with our own eyes or seeing it through some one elses eyes...Oh well. All I know is I am looking forward to meeting with my IAEI chapter in Hampton,Va. Seminar and classes this week end, and talk eye to eye instead of a damn computer.

Ahhhh...but when the computer is saying what you don't want to hear, it only takes one button to push to stop it. ;):grin:

art82

tap rule

tap rule

which tap rule are you using once you taped into the service from the power company it changes things from there you should comply with nec rules

RUWired

which tap rule are you using once you taped into the service from the power company it changes things from there you should comply with nec rules

Article 230.46 If your tapping the line side of the service disconnect. The OP tapped the load side of the service disconnect (feeder conductors)per 240.21(B)(5)1-4

Status
Not open for further replies.