When is a Guy wire required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedottcom

My question is for a 2" rigid service entrance mast through a roof that will support the weight of the 100' service drop.

Is the guy wire requirement decided by the weight it will support or the height of the mast? or neither?

I thought there was a certain height that required guy wires but 230.28 doesn't clarify.

cadpoint

You might consider a call to the Local POCO, 100' seems a pretty long way, or maybe their requirements are on the I-net. I'll bet that you'll have to go with an additional pole.

I'd think they have calculations for their loops and wire gauges verses the service requirements. While we have to be a miminum above a structure, you'd have to add addition length to match their application.

Who owes the service drop, is it up to the weather head, or through the meter, it all varies to the POCO?!

davedottcom

This is a Res. service I will be installing next week for my brother in Cocke County Tenn. He says they have no AHJ!

His poco is installing the meter on their pole, then overhead service drop 100Ft. to his building. They told him we don't even need a disconnect on the building as long as the service is back-to-back, which it is. I suggested we put one any way but big brother says "I don't need it, so I don't want it!"

As of now the length is 100 Ft. but the poco is considering installing another pole. (Waiting for decision)

The mast will be 2" rigid down to an LB & from the LB into the indoor Main Breaker panel. (No meter or disconnect on building)
Weird... I never did that before!

He will probably be reading this thread... and I guess he will see my signature I've been using for years! :grin:

ultramegabob

100' is pretty far for an overhead drop, I would think you would need an additional pole in the center of the span or you will wind up with wire sagging too low when it gets hot outside. but to answer your question, around here we are required to guy off the mast if it is unsupported for 36" inches or more.

dcspector

100' is pretty far for an overhead drop, I would think you would need an additional pole in the center of the span or you will wind up with wire sagging too low when it gets hot outside. but to answer your question, around here we are required to guy off the mast if it is unsupported for 36" inches or more.

Due to ice build up on the drop I am sure which is a great concern out here as well.

POCOs are the ones to ask, the NEC does not specifically give measurements for the guy wire requirement. All of the POCOs here have measurements, each one is slightly different.

Our POCO will install a service drop up to 125ft from their pole to the building, before a private property pole is required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've seen over 100' for a center span tap on a 200 amp residential service which the POCO approved without any problem.

art82

do you need a guy wire

do you need a guy wire

for experience what is the height of the point of attachment what are you crossing over as long as you keep the heght requirements of the service mast you dont need an extra pole

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As others have mentioned - it depends on the POCO and is not clearly covered by the NEC. In the PSE&G installation manual (New Jersey) it requires guy wires if the following masts exceed these heights :

2" gal - 2'
2.5" gal - 4'
3" gal - 7'

Some add'l notes :
1) Guy shall be securely fastened to anchored studding
2) Guy wire shall be a minimum size 1/4" galvanized wire

Here's the link to the PSE&G manual. You'll have to scroll through til you get to Exhibit # 4.

http://www.pseg.com/customer/business/new_service/pdf/RequirementsElecSvc2005.pdf

Also, you may not have any couplings installed after the conduit enters the roof area. If you have to use couplings they must be located closer to the meter as the continuous conduit mast has to be supported to the house by at least 2 straps

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just thought I'd post these photos showing why guy wires are necessary

This one had a guy wire attached to it but a tree branch came down, bent the mast and pulled the guy wire and anchoring out. Don't know how long it's been this way. Judging from the photo the HO's don't care either.
Guywireoff.jpg

To the best of my knowledge this one never had a guy wire and it's been this way for at least 10 years. Don't think these people care either. It almost looks as if there's a coupling right at the roof level that snapped

Guywiremissing.jpg

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I ever put one of those on my house my wife would either break out the shotgun or call a divorce attorney;)

Funny as it may seem, as I walk around this lake community that I live in I've seen at least 6 of these on houses. Must be a Redneck thing. Next thing you know someone will set up a horse shoe pit and start tossing toilet seats:D

dcspector

If I ever put one of those on my house my wife would either break out the shotgun or call a divorce attorney;)

Funny as it may seem, as I walk around this lake community that I live in I've seen at least 6 of these on houses. Must be a Redneck thing. Next thing you know someone will set up a horse shoe pit and start tossing toilet seats:D

LMAO.......That is funny. You know I was kidding.:grin: Same around here we have people still flying the confederate flag and they have no idea what it actually stood for.:roll: Great pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.