Dieless crimping tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There are many types of crimpers can you be more specific? Are you crimping large conductors or just smaller ones?

elec_eng

those dieless crimpers are pretty nice. you dont have to lug around all different sizes of dies . they always get lost and cost 100+ a set

I was told that dieless crimper will crush the wire and do not make a solid contact...that die crimper will make a nice tubular contact around the conductor..

masterinbama

I have used an Anderson VC-6 for years with no problems. I've only had to replace the seals twice. Once when I bought it (used) and about 10 years later. I've also got the same head that uses my bucket or digger truck hydraulics. what I like is they have a pressure gauge port and go no go slugs to test for proper crimp pressure.

electricalperson

I was told that dieless crimper will crush the wire and do not make a solid contact...that die crimper will make a nice tubular contact around the conductor..

if the instructionsof the lug say a dieless crimper can be used on it and its UL listed then whats the problem? the POCO around here used a dieless crimper on lugs ididnt have a die for. they use them all the time

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We have this one and a hand operated one with the same die head. It works great.
As far as the quality of the crimp, I have cut through a completed crimp and unless you look very close it is hard to see that the conductor is stranded, and hard to tell where the connector ends and the conductor starts.

Last edited:

B4T

I have a Burndy die-less I bought off Ebay and it works great.

You can always rent one if you don't have that many jobs to justify the expense

brian john

I have ten crimpers and the die-less seem no worse then the died crimpers. Jobs we IR scan seem to prove this out, we see no more issues with the die-less that with the die crimpers. I think the preference comes from the same camp that prefers metal boxes over plastic, NO OX over no No Ox. Old ideas die hard and if you have been specing something for years at an additional cost it is hard to change attitudes.

charlietuna

I think the dieless do a better job-we have both the anderson and greenlee. Like any other tool, if it's not used properly it doesn't do the job. We have noticed many splice failures throughout a certain job -- and found they didn't have the correct die in their hypress tool or used another manufacturer's sleeve. The dieless takes that part of the problem away. But the dieless need service every few years to maintain their accuracy and those the supply houses "LOAN" out are many times "out of calibration". I have always been a believer of knolox -- but that might also be from the theory that electricians who use it are concerned over making their splices correctly and they have a lesser failure rate??

TxShocker

We have 3 die-less crimpers, we have used them for years and never had a problem. We also have a crimper that uses dies, it hardly ever gets used.

Status
Not open for further replies.