Very large multistory building electrical renovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was called in to consult on a verrrrrrrry large multistory project that had gone very wrong. So many issues, I could not believe what I saw, I was not even sure how to write it up.

One of the items they were working on was to add a substantially large load, including new gear/equipment.

Here is where the EC took some of the additional power from.

P2200056.jpg

Notice his method of termination of the lugs to the joint on the bus. These 2 sets of 500s are supplying a 1600A gear, which in turn supplies 18 stories of the building.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Isn't that standard procedure when you don't want to get POCO involved so you can avoid permitting ? :D
(2) 500s on 1600 amp...simply an application of load diversity..
you are getting so pickey lately :smile:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's the reason why the bolts are so long, so someone can come by later and add a few lugs. :roll:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's amazing what you see even on huge projects where you would think that there is some oversight during the renovation. I just opened a switch on a very high end job, (a theater) and found that when the neutral lug wouldn't fit someone just cut a piece off of the side with a sawzall. Further digging found that the job spec was for 200% neutrals which meant 2-600's but the equipment was only setup for 1 neutral connection, cut the lug, problem solved. :rolleyes:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Sic 'em Pierre!!

I think this is going to get good, probably not the last time we'll hear about this place, try and keep us updated!:smile:

I am not the inspector of record on this site, actually he never filed with either the BD or the utility, that is how he got as far as he did before someone plugged his plug. It did get to consumer affairs. I am in on this project for the building attorney.

emahler

i don't see the problem...i'm assuming this was a licensed electrical contractor...obviously he's qualified and knows what he's doing:D

One of the sad details of this story is about the ownership.
The father has had the business for many years. His sons are taking the business over, and had not got their own license(s) yet. They were working under his license, but he is/was basically retired. I do not know if he even saw the jobsite before this job went south.

Jim W in Tampa

So whats up with permits ? Did they pass review ? Either they build whats on plans or get revised. If meets plans your stuck with passing. Your job ends at inspecting per prints.

Status
Not open for further replies.