#14 AWG minimum size wire in building

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its in the code somewhere but I cant remember where. The NEC requires that #14 is minimum size wire to be used when wiring branch circuits. Could someone tell me where please??

I know the 'industrial machinery industry' tried to get this changed, claiming it would make them more competitve (I dont see how). Just wondering where this is at. Thanks.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I checked that, but what Im looking for is more specific about #14 as the minum, that table deals with the voltage mostly. Thanks for the effort though.

not sure what a minimum gauge size would have to do w/ voltage.

Article 310 Conductors for General Wiring

310.5 Minimum Size of Conductors.
The minimum size of conductors shall be as shown in Table 310.5, except as permitted elsewhere in this Code.

For voltages of 2000 and less, the minimum size permitted by the NEC is 14AWG copper or 12 Aluminum.
Voltage has plenty to do with our work.:-?

iwire

Staff member
I would say 310.5 but what the heck do I know. :-?

I know the 'industrial machinery industry' tried to get this changed, claiming it would make them more competitive (I don't see how).

????????

The internal wiring of industrial machines is not covered by the NEC and many have wiring smaller then 14 AWG.

I would say 310.5 but what the heck do I know. :-?

????????

The internal wiring of industrial machines is not covered by the NEC and many have wiring smaller then 14 AWG.

Ok, after reading 310.5 again, I think that is the one. since the 0-2000 #14 copper is required for general wiring. I have check on the industrial specific wording on that. I was puzzled too as why they wanted that changed.

Ok, after reading 310.5 again, I think that is the one. since the 0-2000 #14 copper is required for general wiring. I have check on the industrial specific wording on that. I was puzzled too as why they wanted that changed.

You may be thinking of 90.7, the second paragraph.

"It is the intent of this Code that factory-installed internal wiring or the construction of equipment need not be inspected at the time of installation of the equipment..."

I understand the function of voltage(s) for the rating of conductors.
I also understand that the insulation type is a direct function of the conductor's amperage rating.

Copper melts at a much higher temperature than 90C, insulation is degraded above 90C.

Status
Not open for further replies.