Is this common...

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

...to have the air handler on the same circuit as general lighting [resi. only]?

In the past 2 days I have been on two calls ...each home had the lighting/air handler combination [one in NJ; one in Staten Island, NY].
I wasn't called about that - so I didn't check any name plate data or anything.
I have never done it this way....is it legit to?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
...to have the air handler on the same circuit as general lighting [resi. only]?

In the past 2 days I have been on two calls ...each home had the lighting/air handler combination [one in NJ; one in Staten Island, NY].
I wasn't called about that - so I didn't check any name plate data or anything.
I have never done it this way....is it legit to?

Look at 422.12-- that's the closest I know of.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm surprised since every residential air handler that I've hooked up was 240 volts.

"440.34 Combination Load.
Conductors supplying a motor-compressor load in addition to a lighting or appliance load as calculatd from Article 220 and other applicable articles shall have an ampacity sufficient for the lighting or appliance load..."

I know this is for compressors, but maybe it can be used for air-handlers as well.

The only item that may not permit this would be the installation instructions calling for a dedicated circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If this is a central gas furnace then no doubt 422.12 would apply. If it is strictly an air handler then I don't understand why 422.12 wouldn't apply also. The air handler is central heating equipment, IMO.

Needless to say I always run a separate cir. to air handler. The systems we install now are ridiculous because they use a central gas air handler and a separate 240v air handler to boost the air flow. Both units come on together and "Y" into the main lines. Very elaborate system.

SEO

Dennis it doesn't make sense to me either.:confused: It doesn't seem to fit the definition of appliance in art 100.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Dennis it doesn't make sense to me either.:confused: It doesn't seem to fit the definition of appliance in art 100.

The definition is pretty broad:

Appliance. Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial, that is normally built in standardized sizes or types and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or more functions such as clothes washing, air conditioning, food mixing, deep frying, and so forth.

JohnJ0906

Interesting how 422.12 is so obscure. Why is the heating equipment hidden in the appliance section?

424 is "Fixed electric space-heating equipment"
440 is "Air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment"
I don't think a gas furnace or air handler falls under the purview of those sections.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
424 is "Fixed electric space-heating equipment"
440 is "Air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment"
I don't think a gas furnace or air handler falls under the purview of those sections.

I guess that is the confusion. I think it may cover it

ARTICLE 424 Fixed Electric Space-Heating Equipment
I. General
424.1 Scope.
This article covers fixed electric equipment used for space heating
. For the purpose of this article, heating equipment shall include heating cable, unit heaters, boilers, central systems, or other approved fixed electric space-heating equipment. This article shall not apply to process heating and room air conditioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.