1-phase dry-type xfmrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
hello good day.. want to ask advice. there's an existing 75kva single-phase transfomer 13.2kV/240v supplying a residential bldg. the owner wants the existing 6 circuits to be feed from an individual LV/LV dry-type transformer 240V/120V; 5- 3kva's(240Vpri/120Vsec) for 5 receptacle circuits and 1-10 kva(240Vpri-240/120Vsec) for 8000W range. im planning to separate the 5 circuits from the existing panel and place it in a new panel (100A). so there will be individual protection for the 6 transformers.. what im not sure if it's okay to connect this new panel to the existing distribution transformer? is there an available 120Vsec (only) for the LV/LV dry-type transformer? and also, should the transformer be loaded to 70% or 80% of the demand load?.. i need your advice. thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
most of the LV transformers I've sen can be wired so the secondary can be 240/120 or straight 120 depending on how you connect the leads.
I know of no Code reason you can't connect the transformers at 100%.

jojo

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
thanks augie47.. maybe i'll load the trnsformer up to 70% or 80% for its long lifespan and for reserve capacity. for the LV/LV dry-type transformer primary and secondary feeders, i used 1.25 times the trnsformer full-load current. for their corresponding protection: for the the primary i use again 1.25 times IFL primary (20AT for 3kVA, 240V primary), and for the secondary i selected 20AT (IFL sec=25A at 120V) for effective overload protection. because if i use 30AT for the secondary, its secondary windings might burn (Ifl sec=25A).

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
you may need to increase your primary protection to avoid an inrush problem. with you secondary protection at 1.25 your primary can be 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.