Heads up for the CA. electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I found out if you do a remodel, the AHJ will want you to add a lighted address on the house. Not all cities yet.

I know that most jurisdictions have requirements in regards to street identification of buildings. I think (at least in our area) more needs to be done to enforce it. Finding the proper building can sometimes be very difficult.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I know that most jurisdictions have requirements in regards to street identification of buildings. I think (at least in our area) more needs to be done to enforce it. Finding the proper building can sometimes be very difficult.

I agree, you don't realize how important it is until half your day is spent trying to find addresses.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I always thought that visible street addresses were only required for mail delivery. There's a town right here that has no mail delivery therefore address numbers on houses are optional. Many of the homes have names instead of numerical addresses.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Think about emergency responders, they also need to quickly identify the buildings.
That is getting easier every day with the use of GIS mapping and GPS location systems for the emergency dispatch. We just added mapping software information to our E-911 center and can pull up an overhead view of the address in the responding vehicle. The GPS shows us on the overhead view exactly where the resonding vehicle is in near real time (within a couple of seconds or so). This also shows on the computer screen in the responding vehicle. The mapping company drove every street in our dispatch area and verified the addresses and the GPS location. The only thing they didn't do is give us a "street view" picture of each address. The county E-911 is also using this mapping system to show them what emergency response unit covers the address where the call originated from. There are at least 25 different fire departments in our county. The county is mostly rural and looking up on the map to find out who should respond added time to the response on the old system.

The biggest thing driving this change is the number of people who no longer have land lines so we don't get the database address from mobile calls like we get for land line calls. We get GPS coordinate information for the mobile calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.