Below grade service into house basement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if there is any code (2008) against running a 200A 2" pvc service approx. 3' below ground level through a concrete wall directly into the back of the loadcenter. I would probably run the wires up a couple feet into an LB and through the wall to prevent any water getting into the basement or panel. The customer doesn't want the LB to show. Anyone see any problems with this. Thanks

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Wondering if there is any code (2008) against running a 200A 2" pvc service approx. 3' below ground level through a concrete wall directly into the back of the loadcenter. I would probably run the wires up a couple feet into an LB and through the wall to prevent any water getting into the basement or panel. The customer doesn't want the LB to show. Anyone see any problems with this. Thanks

How is that LB not going to show?

Actually the meter and 200A cb is installed by the pad mount transformer on a farm 100' from the house. I should have mentioned that before. My biggest concern is moisture getting into the basement and panel. I know the sweep would end up 12" or more out from the wall but since it will be underground I don't think that will be a problem. Maybe I could come into the basement just above the floor level and come into the bottom of the panel? Any suggestions?

I've looked all over the '08 book to see if there would be a problem with just stubbing the pvc out of the wall into the dirt. There is surely different circumstances where the water table levels are high and this application would cause water to get into the pvc and cause major damage if it gets high enough with a good rainfall. That's why I figured I would find something in the code that would prohibit this stubbing procedure, but I can't find anything. The inspector hasn't called me back and I want to do this in the morning.

mcclary's electrical

I've looked all over the '08 book to see if there would be a problem with just stubbing the pvc out of the wall into the dirt. There is surely different circumstances where the water table levels are high and this application would cause water to get into the pvc and cause major damage if it gets high enough with a good rainfall. That's why I figured I would find something in the code that would prohibit this stubbing procedure, but I can't find anything. The inspector hasn't called me back and I want to do this in the morning.

all underground pvc gets wet inside and is considered a damp location,,,,,,,,and if you penetrate below grade you're probably lead water into the panel

B4T

I always use spray foam to fill the hole around the PVC where is goes through the foundation.

Then I spray it with car undercoating to make sure it stays waterproof.

Never had a leaky service.

Thanks for your reply's. Can you also use the spray foam or caulk inside of the conduit to seal around the wires? I hope so...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But, water inside the conduit could be a problem. It can quickly lead to rusting of the enclosure, and possible corrosion of parts.

I like the idea of entering below the panel and either an elbow or an LB, and drill a couple of 1/4"-or-so holes at the lowest point.

Just about any basement has a floor drain, so this shouldn't be a problem. It's gotta be better than rusting out the bottom of the can.

Larry, you mentioned water in the conduit possibly being a problem, but you didn't mention somehow sealing the wires in the conduit. Is this against code to do this, or just not advisable because removing the wires at a later time would be almost impossible?

hillbilly

Larry, you mentioned water in the conduit possibly being a problem, but you didn't mention somehow sealing the wires in the conduit. Is this against code to do this, or just not advisable because removing the wires at a later time would be almost impossible?

You can seal the wires where they exit the conduit.
For the long haul.....If there's any pressure on that water, it will eventually find a way through any sealant that you use.

Best rule of thumb.....Water doesn't run uphill.

Just my opinion

steve

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I hate doing the back of the panel below grade entry although I have done it before learning better. Use primer and glue it as if were a pressurized water line even when coming up from an LB. Seal both ends. A bag of Bentonite around the conduit as it enters the wall will help seal at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.