Lighting protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

I was troubleshooting a control board for irrigation. I noticed a ground rod driven below it and a #6 bare solid copper conductor ran to it. They said that was required there for lighting protection and if removed would void warranty. Is there a problem with this. It seems to me that if there is a fault that it would create a parallel path back to the source. I really don't see a problem with this because current is looking for the least resistive path. What are you thoughts.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Supplemental electrodes are used all the time. Detached buildings, irrigation center pivots, light poles are a few examples.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Cow mentioned, these were once called supplementary electrodes and are now called Auxiliary Grounding Electrodes as permitted and outlined in 250.54. Parallel paths are permitted for EGC's and current would flow on all parallel paths regardless of their resistance. Here's one older example:

1004224701_2.gif

electricmanscott

I was troubleshooting a control board for irrigation. I noticed a ground rod driven below it and a #6 bare solid copper conductor ran to it. They said that was required there for lighting protection and if removed would void warranty. Is there a problem with this. It seems to me that if there is a fault that it would create a parallel path back to the source. I really don't see a problem with this because current is looking for the least resistive path. What are you thoughts.

What type of lighting are you protecting?

gar

Occupation
EE
090805-0648 EST

infinity:

What is the purpose of the Supplemental Grounding Electrode in the illustration shown?

The subtitle is Signal Reference Ground. What was the intended purpose of this subtitle?

For low level signals such as RS-232 I would suggest that such a ground reference is not a good solution and may not effectively solve noise problems.

electricmanscott

Scott you had to say it,didn't you!:smile:

Come on, somebody had too. :grin:

Even thought this is posted in the grounding versus bonding forum. (By the way, you'd think one of them would have won by now).....
It's kind of funny. People always put lighting questions in the lightning forum. In this case we have a question that appears to actually be about lightining and it is spelled lighting, twice. Too funny. :smile:

hurk27

MYTH BUSTER ALERT!

current does not take the path of least resistance!

it takes all paths back to it's source;)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
090805-0648 EST

infinity:

What is the purpose of the Supplemental Grounding Electrode in the illustration shown?

The subtitle is Signal Reference Ground. What was the intended purpose of this subtitle?

For low level signals such as RS-232 I would suggest that such a ground reference is not a good solution and may not effectively solve noise problems.

That's Mike's interpretation of the use of an auxiliary electrode. I really have no idea. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
090805-0648 EST

infinity:

There is no real purpose, but it is specified by some equipment manufacturers for some types of equipment. Often they want to see the ground rod used in place of the code required EGC. Sometimes they call it a clean or signal reference ground.

gar

Occupation
EE
090806-0915 EST

A supplemental ground rod at a machine in addition to the EGC may slightly reduce a ground noise problem, but in most cases is not an adequate solution. It in no way solves the problem of a hot wire short to the equipment chassis that produces a voltage on the chassis of about 1/2 the hot source voltage relative to the EGC connection point in the main panel.

A ground rod only connection at a machine, meaning no EGC connection, an NEC violation and a true safety problem, may or may not have any effect on a ground noise problem.

Another scheme, again an NEC and real safety problem, is to float a computer off of its EGC and use the RS232 cable common to reference the computer chassis to the machine chassis. This may solve the noise problem, but creates the safety problem.

JdoubleU

I know I need to pay more attention to my spelling. I did mean lightening. Thank you all for your reply. It was very helpfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.