Ballast disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I would assume the same disconnect requirement for strip and 2x4 ballasts would also be required for CFL can lights? I've got to find a job number that I can charge off a 2008 code book to.:grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would assume the same disconnect requirement for strip and 2x4 ballasts would also be required for CFL can lights? I've got to find a job number that I can charge off a 2008 code book to.:grin:

Here is the article

410.130(G) Disconnecting Means.
(1) General. In indoor locations other than dwellings and associated accessory structures, fluorescent luminaires that utilize double-ended lamps and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place shall have a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire. The line side terminals of the disconnecting means shall be guarded.
Exception No. 1: A disconnecting means shall not be required for luminaires installed in hazardous (classified) location(s).
Exception No. 2: A disconnecting means shall not be required for emergency illumination required in 700.16.
Exception No. 3: For cord-and-plug-connected luminaires, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means.
Exception No. 4: A disconnecting means shall not be required in industrial establishments with restricted public access where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation by written procedures.
Exception No. 5: Where more than one luminaire is installed and supplied by other than a multiwire branch circuit, a disconnecting means shall not be required for every luminaire when the design of the installation includes disconnecting means, such that the illuminated space cannot be left in total darkness.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thanks, its kinda odd that they only require it for double ended lamps, I figured it was for safer maintaince purposes. Go figure, why they didn't require it for all ballast type fixtures.:-?

Interesting. My experience had been that with the "single pin" lamps, removing the lamp disconnected that ballast as the lines were fed to the lamp thur the socket, but I have installed some 2 lamp F96 electronic replacement ballsts that requre the line be feed straight to the ballast and the "feed thru" sockets are converted.
I would imagine that 410.130G will eventually be modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.