NM under a building

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I am bidding a job where the house is built two feet off the ground on stilts. It seems to have good drainage as the area does not seem to be holding any mositure. Would you consider this a damp location? Or can I run Nm under there as long as I secure it properly of should I use uf?

480sparky

It's at least a damp location IMPO.

Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

arnettda

No Skirt it is open to the outside. And there is no foundation. 8x8's sunk in the ground and built off of that.

arnettda

Another thought. It is northern Wi where we get snow so this would most likely make it a damp location or when the snow melts could you say all the moisture goes down?

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I would say no because its outside. Look at it this way. If you ran that NM in PVC conduit Ill bet they would nail you for it and say the inside of a conduit outside is a wet location. So if the inside of a PVC conduit under that elevated house is a wet location then how could just the Nm in free air not be in a wet location?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would consider it a damp location but almost every crawl space around here is damp and nm is permitted. I have been in crawl spaces that had little streams and pools of water under them. Ask your AHJ. Personally I doubt it would ever cause a problem using NM in that situation.

resistance

I would consider it a damp location but almost every crawl space around here is damp and nm is permitted. I have been in crawl spaces that had little streams and pools of water under them. Ask your AHJ. Personally I doubt it would ever cause a problem using NM in that situation.

I agree!!!!!!

If we are being picky about this, I would say it first depends on the age of the house. Newer houses generally are much dryer, even in the basement.
Some older homes are quite damp.
I have not seen too many attics that are damp, on the contrary, most attics I have been in are dry and hot, even warm in the winter when the sun is shining.

drive1968

I think it would be considered an outside location because the space isn't enclosed. Aside from whether it is a damp location, any critter (including kids) could crawl under the house anytime and and have free access to mess with those wires. I sure wouldn't want my house wired with NM if it didn't have an enclosed crawl space.

stickboy1375

I think it would be considered an outside location because the space isn't enclosed. Aside from whether it is a damp location, any critter (including kids) could crawl under the house anytime and and have free access to mess with those wires. I sure wouldn't want my house wired with NM if it didn't have an enclosed crawl space.

yeah, because its such a dangerous wiring method. :)

Cavie

It is done all over Florida with the older homes on concrete piers that get remodeled. Also common on stilt houses which the rednecks love :grin:. Lots of garage space underneth. Drill the floor joists so you can inclose the bottom after the inspector leaves:roll:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
My personal experience with NM under a double wide with a partially enclosed skirt:

Cust. calls because electric space heater kept tripping breakers and now was not doing anything. I found NM under the home eaten by mice and partially burnt, located above a pile of rags. Since hubby kept trying to fix the problem by putting in larger breakers customer was lucky the conductor finally fused open.

The irony was at the time UF was cheaper than NM.

I have never seen a critter eat through UF, but have seen it with NM on several occasions.

Granted, my experience has nothing to do with being damp, just exposed to critters.

erickench

Yes I would consider it a damp location. It's on the ground and it is partially protected by a building. I think corrosion resistant NM cable is the same as UF cable. At least that's what I read on another thread.;)

mcclary's electrical

I wired four 800 square ft. "yerts" on stilts. I had the same situation. The inspector said that if there was wood "skirting",,,he would let me use NM,,,,if left open,,,I would have to use UF. I know in places closer to salt water it's UF also. Whenever I leave a home with wire and go under a deck I use uf,,,,,so I think the same applies here.

Status
Not open for further replies.