recess lights thermal cutouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Will recess light thermal cutouts deteriorate after awhile under extreme conditions and start cycling off and on at a lower temperature than it is set at?

Thanks.
Sure but I will say that in the almost 30 years I have been in business I have seen only one TP go bad. I have installed thousands of the Halo H7 and H7ict cans.

Usually the problem is someone insulated over a non IC can or they are using bulbs that are higher wattage than allowed.

hillbilly

Sure but I will say that in the almost 30 years I have been in business I have seen only one TP go bad. I have installed thousands of the Halo H7 and H7ict cans.

Usually the problem is someone insulated over a non IC can or they are using bulbs that are higher wattage than allowed.

Correct, me too..well not thousands, but a few.:smile:

Look inside the can for the bulb and trim combinations that are allowed to be used together in the fixture.
Usually there is a mis-match.

steve

Last edited:

tajaj

yes they will fail but most just fail in the open and wont reset state. on shower trims i see the most from customers with 100 watt lamps in them they say that it is ok with them because they can usually get in and out before it goes off ( i tell them 40 watt max) they will do what they want. on commercial recessed cans i have replaced thirty or fourty thermals over the years and have found as many or more bypased by crappy electricians who don't keep thier truck stocked and want some quick cash. so yes they fail but if it is going on and off i would say it is working just fine even a fourty watt lamp if it is bad can draw more current if the element gets crossed up inside the lamp see this all the time with wal-mart lamps.

hurk27

Install can rated CFL and go home, we stock them for shower trims especially because it makes the HO allot more happier to have the more light that a 40w will provide.

We have fought some off brand cans that were cheep, even the correct wattage lamp (65w par30 FL) in open trims, still would trip the TP, and can rated CFL's was the only way to go,

quogueelectric

This is one of my pet peves around me. 9 out of 10 electricans will just cut the thermal out of the ckt by me because they are too lazy or stupid to replace it.

mivey

This is one of my pet peves around me. 9 out of 10 electricans will just cut the thermal out of the ckt by me because they are too lazy or stupid to replace it.
What? You are a pet.:grin: But you must be the king of confrontation: I loved the coffee cost scene...kind of put things in perspective.

I would vote for lazy AND stupid on the thermals.

quogueelectric

What? You are a pet.:grin: But you must be the king of confrontation: I loved the coffee cost scene...kind of put things in perspective.

I would vote for lazy AND stupid on the thermals.

Gotta love NY If you cant take the heat get out of the kitchen. I am slowly becoming a grumpy old man. As soon as my kids were born everyone was driving too fast. The cow is not shy you have to confront these guys becase they are telling all of thier customers what jerks and rip offs all electricians are. As they are fleecing thier own flock redirecting the anger at the electrician who gets them for a few hundred a year as opposed to breakfst at 10 bucks a day for a few dozen eggs and a pound of bacon for 4 grand a year. Allright deep breaths, deep breaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.