Grounding question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

We have a service where we are running approx 140' from the pole, underground, to an exterior CT cabinet.

From the CT Cabinet, we go back underground for approximately 110', where we penetrate the building and enter the service.

question is this: do I need to run a ground from the CT to the Service gear?

conduit is PVC in and out of CT...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I guess the question becomes whether this pole is a separate structure. If it is not then I do not see the need for an egc to be run to the building . I would bet that some would say you need a disco at the pole where the ct cabinet is located and an egc to the building. Not sure there is a real answer here.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with Dennis (normal situation :)) Due to the Code definition of a "structure", you can get different interpretations on where disconnects are need thus where you need equipment grounding conductors.
In this area the CT cabinet would almost be ignored from a Code standpoint. POCO would make a determination if they wanted a "cold sequence disconnect" and the CT cabinet would be grounded by the groundED conductor.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... question is this: do I need to run a ground from the CT to the Service gear?

conduit is PVC in and out of CT...
If a grounded service conductor is present, it is used for grounding on the line side of the service disconnect.

emahler

sorry guys...the pole is the POCO utility pole...this area is all overhead...

the CT is outside, the service is a MCB...no cold sequence required from the POCO...

but the answer is, no, a ground is not required here...i got a chance to look up the POCO rules online...

thanks though...

Status
Not open for further replies.