Generator Sound Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue302

Hey guys how's it going! I have a exterior Generac 70KW residential system I'm bidding to install. The GC said the HOA has sound requirements blah blah. The GC told me that someone told him that there is a enclosure that you can put over the generator that will bring down the DB rating to an acceptable rating. I know of some wall material that use can use to do this but I've never seen the system he is talking about. What have you guys used to solve this problem? Do you have any links on products?
Thanks, Eddie

masterinbama

Contact your Generac rep. They will sell you the whole package including a base fuel tank (if your using diesel). Main thing you will need if your rep doesn't mention it, is a critical grade muffler

ceb58

Hey guys how's it going! I have a exterior Generac 70KW residential system I'm bidding to install. The GC said the HOA has sound requirements blah blah. The GC told me that someone told him that there is a enclosure that you can put over the generator that will bring down the DB rating to an acceptable rating. I know of some wall material that use can use to do this but I've never seen the system he is talking about. What have you guys used to solve this problem? Do you have any links on products?
Thanks, Eddie

I would be sceptical of a cover unless it is approved by the mfg. The enclosure could restrict air flow and cause the gen. set to retain heat. Most gen. set must conform to standards for noise levels. I have seen where you can special order ones that have a lower noise level than the standard models.

masterinbama

I installed 3 1500KW Caterpillar Generators at an Army base once. The factory enclosures and mufflers were so good you could actually talk at a normal level when standing between 2 of them. And they were only spaced 12' apart.

blue302

Oh yeah, I just would'nt just throw anything over the gen. I'm looking for something that's specifically designed for that purpose.

JWCELECTRIC

I think you want the enclosure and muffler system to keep your DB levels around 70-80 DB. Ask gc what levels the HOA you can't exceed and typically the manufacturer's can meet it at a cost of course.

brian john

Sound attenuated enclosures are available to the point you can stand next to the unit and barely hear it. NOW if you stand above the unit noise will be evident.

We did one retro fit only cost the customer a cool million.

active1

They spec out the db of the generator. The fine print says that is the noise leval at around 20' away.

I had simular requests from a customer that a unit has to meet a lower sound requirement. After makeing some phone calls I decided it would be best to say sorry I can't help you. Letting the customer fight their own battles. In the end the customer got requirments waived and I sold the unit.

dbuckley

The film boys use gensets that you literally can't hear, they are, to all reasonable meanings of the word, silent. However, I would think that doing additional sound insulating after installation would be hard.

brian john

They spec out the db of the generator. The fine print says that is the noise leval at around 20' away.

I had simular requests from a customer that a unit has to meet a lower sound requirement. After makeing some phone calls I decided it would be best to say sorry I can't help you. Letting the customer fight their own battles. In the end the customer got requirments waived and I sold the unit.

And IMO you lost an up-sell and additional monies..

hurk27

check out Generac's web site before you select the unit, they now have gear driven units that the engines runs much slower, and are by fare the quietest units I have ever heard, second is location, select a location that is not by windows or sleeping rooms, If you can keep it away from the house any it will go along way, or if there is any block or concrete wall, that could act as a sound barrier will help, but calling Generac or looking at there web site would be the first option.

jrannis

Thanks, Eddie

Are you using Generac because they are cheap or are these the only units you have access to?

360Youth

Your RPM on the unit is as much a concern as the enclosure. Make sure it is an 1800 and not 3600. We just put in a 70kw in an HOA development. The RPMs was one of the main reasons for going with this particular unit. They asked for db ratings and all was approved. The exterior walls on the ground floor are solid poured, with the generator placed under one set of exterior stairs and neither the HO nor the GC could hear it running inside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.