Does the light canopy count for box fill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I have heard that the light or fan canopy counts for box volume/ fill.
But , I have no code reference. I have a situation where I would like to use a bunch of fan pancake boxes. They are labled 6.5 cu. in. But I am useing 14-3.

480sparky

314.16(A) might be interpreted as allowing it if the in? is marked.

314.16 Number of Conductors in Outlet, Device, and Junction Boxes, and Conduit Bodies.
(A) Box Volume Calculations. The volume of a wiring enclosure (box) shall be the total volume of the assembled sections and, where used, the space provided by plaster rings, domed covers, extension rings, and so forth, that are marked with their volume or are made from boxes the dimensions of which are listed in Table 314.16(A).

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Have not seen too many canopies with wire fill markings.
I have a number Punch I could use in a pinch though.
:cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO they should remove the "domed cover" wording from this section since I have yet to see one that was marked with a volume. :rolleyes:

Just as manufacturers are putting all these labels in fixtures to protect themselves, they are not going to label the canopies with conductor capacity, as they do not want to be responsible for what may be done out in the field installation.

Buck Parrish

Well it passed, the inspector never said a thing about the pancake boxes. We had 14-3 in every one of them.
And in Durham the inspectors are pretty sharp. They are licensed electricians and have to take a 200 question electrical test . This is above their licensing.
Its different then attending a weekend seminar and being awarded a certificate aproving you to inspect electrical. Therfore they get my respect.

Wouldn't want their salary though. But they do get good retirement benifits.

dcspector

Well it passed, the inspector never said a thing about the pancake boxes. We had 14-3 in every one of them.
And in Durham the inspectors are pretty sharp. They are licensed electricians and have to take a 200 question electrical test . This is above their licensing.
Its different then attending a weekend seminar and being awarded a certificate aproving you to inspect electrical. Therfore they get my respect.

Wouldn't want their salary though. But they do get good retirement benifits.

Same thing here Buck. I have to maintain CEU's for my inactive status licenses's and maintain my multiple ICC Certifications. However, the salary here is great along with the benefits plus take home vehicle. On the down side I have been noticing my hours are averaging about 72 hours per week. Oh well thank heavens I still have a job.

hillbilly

I have heard that the light or fan canopy counts for box volume/ fill.
But , I have no code reference. I have a situation where I would like to use a bunch of fan pancake boxes. They are labled 6.5 cu. in. But I am useing 14-3.

In my opinion, 410.10 allows this installation.

It's kind of subjective, and I like it that way.:)

steve

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO 410.20 doesn't apply. The only real section that applies is 314.16(A)&(B) which requires the canopy to be marked with their volume for use in calculating box fill. Since I've never seen a canopy with that marking IMO those words in the NEC are useless. However 314.16(B)(1)Ex. might apply to this installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.