Main Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Why is a Main Breaker or Main disconnect Required if a Panelboard is a Lighting Panelboard and not a Power Panelboard?
What difference does it make?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
As of the 2008 NEC, it makes no difference at all, since the notion of "Lighting and Appliance Panel" has been removed. But as to your specific question, I know of no code article that imposes that requirement. Is someone telling you that there is such a requirement?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I hope I'm looking at this correctly, if not I'm sure one of the sharp guys here will catch my mistake.
Prior to '08 NEC, a L&A panel required a main per 408.16
The "power panels" did not show such a requirement but 240.21 requires overcurrent protection on all ungrounded circuit conductors with exceptions. I believe 240.21(B)(2) is the only tap rule that does not require termination in a single device and it requires the sum of the overcurrent devices not exceed the conductor ampacity. I can only assume that this exception is due to power panels (and service panels where the 6 handle rule applies) are more often service by professionals.
It appears that with the '08 Code a main set of overcurrent devices is required on either with only service panels exempt.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Gus,
The 2005 code does not require that a lighting and appliance panel have a main.
408.36 Overcurrent Protection
(A) Lighting and Appliance Branch-Circuit Panelboard Individually Protected Each lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard shall be individually protected on the supply side by not more than two main circuit breakers or two sets of fuses having a combined rating not greater than that of the panelboard.
Exception No. 1: Individual protection for a lighting and appliance panelboard shall not be required if the panelboard feeder has overcurrent protection not greater than the rating of the panelboard.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Correct Don, My error, I did not mean "in the panel" but I did not specify.
I do not see any similiar wording for "power" panelboards. I may have totally missed it, but it appears that the only protetcion required there is that provided by 240.21 for the conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.