Split conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvee1985

I have an unusual problem I need some advice on. I am working on a commercial building for a state owned agency using EMT conduit I found a split in a 90 degree bend I made when we first started the job thinking it was an isolated incident I just replace the conduit with a new piece and after running around 1500 feet I found maybe 3 more joints that would tear where the weld was made, now these were all in an office area so I start working in the shop portion of the building and my hands start finding splits in the conduit pieces I have not even touched. So I call the wholesaler who sold me the conduit and after several calls I am in touch with the manufacturer I tell him we have another 700 feet left to run and he tells me there was a factory problem with the conduit and it has been recalled. The walls in the office area of my job have been sheet rocked and finished, this rep for the manufacturer is telling me the conduit run behind the walls will be ok and no problem should come from this later, my opinion is it all needs to be replaced what do you guys think? I have not said anything to the state about what is going on yet without knowing what the final decision will be from the manufacturer of the conduit he is awaiting a sample to see if this is the same problem they had with the recall; any input from you guys would be great sorry for the long post.

brian john

I had the same issue in the past it is the EMT and we had to check every 90 we also found placing the seam on the side minimized the splits.

At this point I would contact the supplier for replacement and some monetary help.

rr

this rep for the manufacturer is telling me the conduit run behind the walls will be ok and no problem should come from this later,
LOL! Yeah, right. His stamp isn't on the drawing either. Ask him if you could get that in writing and he'll probably balk.

As others have said, I would get the manufacturer involved with some money to replace the conduits.

celtic

I have an unusual problem ....
Not that unusual as all...a few years ago, it almost seemed to be the norm :mad:

... this rep for the manufacturer is telling me the conduit run behind the walls will be ok and no problem should come from this later, my opinion is it all needs to be replaced what do you guys think?

Tell him:
I believe you....but I'll need a signed letter from the AHJ agreeing to it before the job can proceed any further.
You should have no trouble supplying that documentation, right?

SEO

May not ever be a problem but what if there is a fault down the road and the conduit was the cause? I'd get something in writing from the manufacturer bearing the responsibility and as celtic mentioned involving the AHJ.

celtic

I only want what is right IMO every piece of conduit from that batch needs to be replaced I am just asking what you think.

Careful what you wish for....

can-of-worms1.jpg

...is your opinion the correct one?

Something to think about....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Adequate and fair to whom?
The GC
The Client
The EC
The MFG

The tentacles are long...
Okay, Doc Ock, if you received this conduit, and had installed some which has been walled over, as in the OP, what would you seek as compensation?

celtic

Okay, Doc Ock, if you received this conduit, and had installed some which has been walled over, as in the OP, what would you seek as compensation?

"Some" differs greatly depending on whom you're talking to and the extent of pipe installed.

If some means a few lengths, the time and effort involved to remedy the situation might be best handled by the EC just doing a tear out [sharing the cost with the GC to expedite finishing the project]....provided the finish surface is not some imported marble or other hi-end item that requires multiple trades.

It could be argued that the EC bears some responsibility....if it was known that there was an issue ~ when was it first discovered and how much pipe was installed thereafter.
Other variables that need definitive answers:
- how much is actually behind finished areas;
- how much wire has been pulled
- etc

It's not really a question that has a simple answer of "tree-fiddy".

jvee1985

"Some" differs greatly depending on whom you're talking to and the extent of pipe installed.

If some means a few lengths, the time and effort involved to remedy the situation might be best handled by the EC just doing a tear out [sharing the cost with the GC to expedite finishing the project]....provided the finish surface is not some imported marble or other hi-end item that requires multiple trades.

It could be argued that the EC bears some responsibility....if it was known that there was an issue ~ when was it first discovered and how much pipe was installed thereafter.
- etc

Are you serious the manuf. makes a crappy product and you want me to share the cost to replace 1,500 feet of 1/2" conduit with circuits already pulled. The conduit that I installed appeared good when it was installed some of this conduit would split several days after it had been bent. I have never seen this type of fault in conduit and my responsibility was finding the probelm when it came to running the conduit in the open where you could see it after several days. But thanks for you comments!

celtic

Are you serious the manuf. makes a crappy product and you want me to share the cost to replace 1,500 feet of 1/2" conduit with circuits already pulled. The conduit that I installed appeared good when it was installed some of this conduit would split several days after it had been bent. I have never seen this type of fault in conduit and my responsibility was finding the probelm when it came to running the conduit in the open where you could see it after several days. But thanks for you comments!

I'm not a lawyer, but I know a few :grin:

Your relief is to have the MFG bear all the costs here?

petey_c

jvee1985, I would think that it's time to contact a lawyer and advise the state about what's going on. The state may want to stop the work before it progresses any further. The conduit manufacturer is responsible for selling a shoddy product. Your main focus right now is to limit your liability. The pipe in the walls should be fine. Yeah, right. If something goes wrong and they can pin it on defective pipe that you installed, they will. It's not his azz that will be hanging in the breeze. Also, if something does go wrong and someone gets hurt or killed because of that pipe, could you live with yourself? It's a crappy situation and could likely take years to settle. Best of luck, pete

celtic

Yes would you pay for it as a EC?

Didn't I answer that question before it was even asked?

- etc

If you are asking should all 1500' be removed ~ that's a totally different question.

How many lengths are we talking about....exactly how much/what percentage of the 1500' is affected?
This is question that is going to be asked of you - if your relief is removal....might as well get the answers lined up before someone with a checkbook starts asking the questions.

rr

If this was my project:

I've worked for an EC and I know how they think. :D

However in this case, I really don't care what the EC says. His stamp is not on the drawing. Period.

Furthermore, most specifications dictate that defective materials be replaced (including conductors with insulation that has been skinned during pulling). Would that mean ALL conduit? No. Only areas where it would be defective.

This issue should be between the EC and the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.