T/M or bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLES

I have a friend/homeowner and ask me to wire a house he suggest i charge
him by the hour so I wouldnt under bid he has no plans no material and no Idea what he wants as far as lighting, resceptacles and appliances. he also wants me to run phone/cable. Well needles to say its been two weeeks and I
still haven't had ruff in inspection becuase of his undecidedness. He seems not to care but as an electrician I am not happy with the progress i feel i should be done.What would you guys charge for a job that had no plans, layout,1800sqft house with front /back porchs 70'x12'. with fans/light/recpt, and car port.This guy most of the time just cant make up his mind about placement of appliances I thing I have had to redo everything twice including
service location.

Teaspoon

him by the hour so I wouldnt under bid he has no plans no material and no Idea what he wants as far as lighting, resceptacles and appliances. he also wants me to run phone/cable. Well needles to say its been two weeeks and I
still haven't had ruff in inspection becuase of his undecidedness. He seems not to care but as an electrician I am not happy with the progress i feel i should be done.What would you guys charge for a job that had no plans, layout,1800sqft house with front /back porchs 70'x12'. with fans/light/recpt, and car port.This guy most of the time just cant make up his mind about placement of appliances I thing I have had to redo everything twice including
service location.

I have ran into this type of customer before.
Time & materials is about all you can do,If they will not make any decision, about the location of appliances. I would just simply tell them with-out knowing the lay-out I cannot Get the wiring done.And everytime I move something it is costing you money, But if he's got the money I'll do the moving of all the Receptacles & Lighting Etc.

growler

Unless you have a signed contract it's a little late in the game to bid the job. Once you have it pretty well roughed in there is no way to bid it because the work is done and no one can bid against you.

If you don't have a contract you should keep track of time spent on the job and materials used. What you charge per hour and materials mark-up is between you and your friend.

This is the bad thing about working for a friend or even directly for a homeowner because every little house turns into a custom job. If you like the person you should help with the lay out and explain the added cost of delays to them up front. Most people have no idea of what kind of bill they a running up with the taxie cab setting waiting out front.

Last edited:

480sparky

....... Once you have it pretty well roughed in there is no way to bid it because the work is done and no one can bid against you...........

Wanna bet?

How many times has anyone here gotten a job done, submitted a bill, only to have the owner 'shop' the price and tell us he found someone else who said they could have done it for half the price and therefore want us to lower our price?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
service location.

From years of experience with the above, by all means time and materials. I can bet you that as you proceed through the job the owner will want you to move stuff or add stuff or take stuff out.

I have only done one job where the outlets were on a print. All the rest I either put where I would like them to be or the owner just did a verbal about what was important and let me do the rest. I like it that way. I don't put receptacles on lighting circuits and I hate to daisy chain boxes as I don't like using a device box as a junction box. I also alternate rooms on lighting circuits so if one room goes dark, the adjacent rooms are still lit.

Install chases if you can for both power and low voltage running from the basement to the attic. Someday you will thank me for that!

Don't forget about the rules for AFCI's. ANY circuit in a bedroom must be protected by them, even the smoke detector circuit. This is the one area that I end up putting the lights and receptacles on the same outlet due to the cost of AFCI's. This is overcome if there are enough bedrooms to require multiple circuits, though. Just put bedroom lighting on one circuit and feed the smokes from there and you are good to go. Put the receptacles on different circuits.

As far as bids, no way. I did a time and material job on an 1800 foot home and the bill came to nearly 14,000 dollars. There were 9 light switches in the foyer and all out door lighting had switches at each door as well as near some of the windows. I move one light fixture 4 times because the wifoid kept changing her mind. She also kept moving my materials and I charged for hunting them down or driving to a big box store to get more after I couldn't find them. They had an 18 foot vaulted ceiling that needed a huge chandelier. There were Cat 5 runs as well as RG-6 and TX to every room in the house. There are 50 breakers in the basement plus the garage has a panel with 12 more. The basement had a bath and a half, a dog grooming studio, two finished bedrooms, a living room area and a full kitchen. The other half of the basement had the utilities.

Even though all of the above was initially designed on CAD and given to me, the constant changes and 'internal' problems wiped out any chance of figuring out an accurate bid.

The best way for most is to start wiring for code minimum and take the owner through periodically to approve the placements and suggest others.

Also, we have a certain time frame to get a rough in inspection done. You may find it prudent to inform the owner that he doesn't have all the time in the world to make a decision. Make sure you have paperwork from the inspection department with the time limitation in hand.

Good luck.

celtic

Don't forget about the rules for AFCI's. ANY circuit in a bedroom must be protected by them, even the smoke detector circuit.

:-?
Having no idea where either of you are located....and under what year code cycle....the AFCI issue could be moot or all encompassing [w/very few "exceptions"]

e57

Working for freinds - great way to loose one.... ;)

Of course stick to the T&M - if you had bid it you would be loosing your shirt... Your freind though - needs a talking to - &/or some guidance.

charlietuna

Your "FRIEND" should be told you are doing him a favor by wiring his house T&M and that you need him,the homeowner and his wife, to have some type of plan "PRIOR" to the start! Which sounds too late to do! The biggest question mark of course is the kitchen, and i always take "their" layout and mark out on the floor full size appliances, as they will set in the kitchen. Take both of them into the kitchen for "their" approval -- pointing out clearences with doors open(oven,refer,dishwasher,micro) and that this is workable for "THEM". You'll be suprised at many of "THEIR" comments when they look at your drawing on the floor??? This might be the first time they have seen the actual layout! Comments like the wife saying "the sink is supposed to line up with the center of the window" when in fact it's two feet off center! Outlet location throughout the rest of the house is not that important as long as it's code complient. Computer and TV and phone outlets is another issue most homeowners give little thought until they move in--so you should get their input on those. Take into consideration today's cabling requirements for HD cable or dish reception and provide them a Data/TV control panel. Lighting and switching, i usually do myself unless they have something else in mind, but i walk the house enough during the rough to know where three way switching is required for a custom home. I always talk to them about security lighting if they want that option. In family rooms ask about furniture layouts and if floor outlets will be required to serve table lamps isolated in the center of rooms?

macmikeman

It should be T+M+OH +P . Time and materials and overhead and profit. Most customers who want you to bill them on T+M want rates that you would get in your paycheck not rates that a company owner would need to charge for an hours service.

growler

Most customers who want you to bill them on T+M want rates that you would get in your paycheck not rates that a company owner would need to charge for an hours service.

Yes that's exactly what people want and it's all the more reason for good communications before the job starts.

If you can make the terms clear at the beginning of a job then things are much more simple at the end of the job.

satcom

Many customers that work at a wage job, just don't understand the cost of operating a business, and if you try to work T&M they expect the price to be near their pay rate, a good reason to offer a contract price, one of the reasons they call us contractors , and not wage workers.

mlnk

I draw an electrical plan for the customer. I try to convince them to go with 42" and 19" to the top of switches and receptacles (ADA). I follow the NEC, local and state energy codes. For the kitchen, I put in adjustable boxes so if they put in tile I can bring the box out to flush. I charge $70 per hour for the drawing of the plan. I usually bid the job by the outlet box unit, 3 switches in a box is 3 units. I show my math on the bid sheet...if they add outlets-it costs more. If I get the job, I then paste my plan onto a piece of cardboard and draw the circuits in color. This saves lots of time. If I do not get the job, at least the owner has a impressive plan to show to the next contractor.

MBLES

T and M bid job

T and M bid job

My friend/customer has several houses and realestate he for some reason thinks he is a contractor/builder. But all that aside what would a job like this cost in manhours 1800sqft two nice porches and car port to wire. He supply all material and fees. I just supplied all labor I am pretty much done with house I was just wondering if my manhours was equal to a bid/t and m I am also trying to be fair. What does a house like this bid for if there were plans
1800 sqft 3 bdr 21/2bath carport 70'x12' decks front back with lts/fans everything gas and normal kitchen

Sparky555

I do my best to be flexible with people but T&M with no plan will only work if you get paid for ALL your time at a rate that includes labor, markup, overhead and profit.

Last edited:

Rewire

My friend/customer has several houses and realestate he for some reason thinks he is a contractor/builder. But all that aside what would a job like this cost in manhours 1800sqft two nice porches and car port to wire. He supply all material and fees. I just supplied all labor I am pretty much done with house I was just wondering if my manhours was equal to a bid/t and m I am also trying to be fair. What does a house like this bid for if there were plans
1800 sqft 3 bdr 21/2bath carport 70'x12' decks front back with lts/fans everything gas and normal kitchen

100-130 man hours

Make your own floor plan on a piece of paper, have him initial it and date it, then do the same thing each time he changes his mind, tell him it's for you to keep it straight in your mind, keep these plans and when it's time to collect use them to remind him of all the redo you had to do during the course of the project. People get real squirrel-ly when it comes to their own property and seem to forget what transpired last week.

Rewire

Make your own floor plan on a piece of paper, have him initial it and date it, then do the same thing each time he changes his mind, tell him it's for you to keep it straight in your mind, keep these plans and when it's time to collect use them to remind him of all the redo you had to do during the course of the project. People get real squirrel-ly when it comes to their own property and seem to forget what transpired last week.

I always keep a statement book so I can give a copy of the changeorder cost to the customer ,at the end of the job it makes settleing much easier.

MBLES

thanks

thanks

100-130 man hours

thanks thats what i figured just a little more because most of the time i am findinf him the cheapest price. he tries to use his church friends and he always pays 40% more than I get. I know a lot more distributors than he does so I know how to shop around. Thanks for just your answer REwire

mlnk

National construction estimator...about 90 hours not including TV, phone, computer, intercom.

Status
Not open for further replies.